Chase color with Cue Release

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

nicobeg

Chase color with Cue Release

Postby nicobeg » 20 Jun 2018, 21:06

Hi guys,

I need your advices for an effect I'm doing manually but I want to improve it.

I'm using a Pearl Expert Titan V9.1.
During the shows I'm used to select my fixture then a palette-color with the workspace (in live).

An effet I like to use is to switch from the present color to white for the even fixture of a group and then the same with the odds.
For example :
1. I select all my 4 wash, choose red from my palette-color, then 'clear'.
2. I switch wash n°1 and n°3 to white (2 & 4 stay red)
3. I switch wash n°2 and n°4 to white (1 & 3 go back to red)
restart at point 2.

After I choose blue at step 1. and step 2. & 3. my wash switch from blue to white.

For this I use 2 cue on 2 playback fader with fide time mode 2. I press the grey buttons manually for each step.

I would like to something automatically based on a BPM. I'm trying with a chase where I select "Cue Release ON" and link to a master BPM.
The problem is that my initial color was selected with the programmer but was cleared.
In my case, with the release, the fixture go back to the "power on" state defined by the fixture library.
I want to avoid to use a cue for my initial color because I don't want to have a playback for each color i could use during the show.
I want to avoid to let the color in the programer (and put my chase priority over the programmer) because i have other playback to run with a color that should overwrite my color.

Thanks for your help

Nico
niclights
The eManual

Re: Chase color with Cue Release

Postby niclights » 20 Jun 2018, 21:50

I think the important thing here is to ensure you are using 'quick' palettes - in other words applying palettes without selecting fixtures. Create palettes specifically for the purpose if necessary.

For example first make a chase by selecting odd fixtures, set to white in programmer, record step 1, clear, select even fixtures, set to white in programmer, record step 2, clear, set chase playback cue release on. Then apply a palette (without selecting any fixtures) and run the chase. The result should be the odd/even fixtures switching between the recorded white and the palette colour.

Hopefully it will be possible to change (or at least provide an option) so that it does not release to power on after clear in the future. I personally find this frustrating.
nicobeg

Re: Chase color with Cue Release

Postby nicobeg » 20 Jun 2018, 21:57

So quick, impressive.

Indeed I find out that the quick palette works but my palettes are shared with all fixtures.
So, I need to make another color palette set for each group of fixture I want this effect.

Thank you for your help. I'm happy that you confirm I not miss an easy/obvious solution.