Crappy old dimmer vs. Avo DMX

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Quidam

Crappy old dimmer vs. Avo DMX

Postby Quidam » 15 Jun 2018, 11:21

Hi,

So, here we go again : I'm having trouble with old and/or cheap equipment : flickering and/or unwanted levels.
I'm not having problems with other desks (or with my Swisson tester), yadda yadda - the usual stuff already described elsewhere in the forum.
Break length mod/extra stop bit did not solve the issue. Wiped DMX settings, used a blank show : problem still arise as soon as the line is plugged in.

But :
- *I'm still having issues even when dmx output is disabled*
- This time I don't have the same problem when using my TM ; only with my TT2
- I managed to do my job by using another physical output for my dimmer line (like in 'Line 2 will be outputted on A'). It seems that only XLR outputs B and D are affected.

Am I right thinking I could have a ground issue on those lines ? If I'm not, do you have any other suggestion ?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Cheers,

Charles
Kully

Re: Crappy old dimmer vs. Avo DMX

Postby Kully » 19 Jun 2018, 11:10

Hi Charles,

Could you try the following steps please:

1.Open the console and locate the DMX motherboard
2. Next to the DMX connector, could you gently remove and switch the following chips (See Dropbox upload below). NOTE: You may require a small flat screwdriver to do this.
Once you have switched the two, see whether the problem persists. You may notice the problems may switch ports.

I have attached an image of the chips below:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0a6yzml0o212 ... s.jpg?dl=0

If you are using cheap fixtures, try avoid plugging them directly into the Avo console. I would strongly recommend using a Buffer box/DMX splitter.