palette problem in Titan V8

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

chien0721

palette problem in Titan V8

Postby chien0721 » 19 May 2018, 10:36

I am using pearl expert with titan v8 software. And there are some slightly difference with palettes function that I could not understand but it used to work well in v6 software.
Let's say I have six LED pars and their user numbers are one through six. In my colours palette window in the touch, I already have several colours written as shared value. In my group window, I have set LED pars 1 and 2 as group 1, LED pars 3 and 4 as group 2, and LED pars 5 and 6 as group 3 which makes three groups in total.
Back in v6 I could program as the following.

1. change group 1 to red by using group and colours palette only.
2. change group 2 to green by using group and colours palette only.
3. change group 3 to blue by using group and colours palette only.
4. press "clear".
5. select group 1 and press the colour window to save its red as a palette.
6. press "clear".
7. select group 2 and press the colour window to save its green as a palette.
8. press "clear".
9. select group 3 and press the colour window to save its yellow as a palette.

After doing these steps, it normally gives my three colours as shared palettes (a little S on the top corner) with colours mask icon showed up (a little white C at the bottom) in the colour window in v6 software. And I can apply these colour palettes on other groups I created. However when I duplicate these steps in v8 software, the colour palettes in the window will be saved as global palettes (a little G on the top corner) with no colours mask icon showed up (a little gray C at the bottom). In other words, I cannot use these for some reasons.
I know my steps sound confusing because there are surely a better way to do this. But I normally use 10 colours to create a colour and dimmer chase, so it becomes really inconvenient when I cannot indicate the colours of the group. And I'll have to memorize all the value of RGBW and thus it becomes a nightmare for me.

At the same time, I also want to know the difference between global, normal, and shared palettes.

Many thanks!
niclights
The eManual

Re: palette problem in Titan V8

Postby niclights » 19 May 2018, 11:30

It is probably explained better in the manual but, in short, global applies to any fixture, shared to all fixtures of a particular type and normal only to the fixtures recorded.

The software tries to automatically determine which type to use based on the programmer contents. If there are the same values for all fixtures in the programmer (or just one fixture) and the attributes are suitable for global (ie. colour mixing) then it will choose global. If the programmer contains more than one fixture type and the values are the same for all fixtures of a particular type but not the same across types then it will choose shared. If there are different values across fixtures of a particular type it will choose normal. In later versions of Titan you can set a 'minimum' type to restrict the automatic choice to shared/normal or just normal.

When recording the palette you can override this by toggling the type softkey. Also check the mask is set to include colour and that the record mode is correct (for example 'channel in programmer' will only record the values in the programmer. Other modes will add values. Further information can be found in the manual).
chien0721

Postby chien0721 » 30 May 2018, 09:36

niclights wrote:It is probably explained better in the manual but, in short, global applies to any fixture, shared to all fixtures of a particular type and normal only to the fixtures recorded.

The software tries to automatically determine which type to use based on the programmer contents. If there are the same values for all fixtures in the programmer (or just one fixture) and the attributes are suitable for global (ie. colour mixing) then it will choose global. If the programmer contains more than one fixture type and the values are the same for all fixtures of a particular type but not the same across types then it will choose shared. If there are different values across fixtures of a particular type it will choose normal. In later versions of Titan you can set a 'minimum' type to restrict the automatic choice to shared/normal or just normal.

When recording the palette you can override this by toggling the type softkey. Also check the mask is set to include colour and that the record mode is correct (for example 'channel in programmer' will only record the values in the programmer. Other modes will add values. Further information can be found in the manual).

I can understand those abbreviation now. But still, my question is not solved yet I think. Thus, I recorded this video to show my questions. And, sorry for my bad grammar in this video lol.
https://youtu.be/oxL0tiM5g3E
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 30 May 2018, 15:29

The issue is probably related to the fact that when you record the new palettes none of the colour channels are in the programmer and it is therefore not recording any information into the palette. This appears to work in the current version of software so it looks like it has been fixed since version 8. If you now Quick Record a palette in the Colours window it will record the colour channels regardless of whether they are in the programmer (although it doesn't always detect the picture legend correctly). In your case you can try selecting the original palette or touching/adjusting the colour values on the wheels before recording the new palette so that the values are in the programmer.
chien0721

Postby chien0721 » 30 May 2018, 16:12

Gregory wrote:The issue is probably related to the fact that when you record the new palettes none of the colour channels are in the programmer and it is therefore not recording any information into the palette. This appears to work in the current version of software so it looks like it has been fixed since version 8. If you now Quick Record a palette in the Colours window it will record the colour channels regardless of whether they are in the programmer (although it doesn't always detect the picture legend correctly). In your case you can try selecting the original palette or touching/adjusting the colour values on the wheels before recording the new palette so that the values are in the programmer.

ok, so this is fixed in the current version V11. Because I used to do this in V6, but it failed in V8 which made me confused.