the differents between Grand MA light and Pearl 2004

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

rene

the differents between Grand MA light and Pearl 2004

Postby rene » 31 Jul 2006, 18:00

Hello,

I have a question.

I'm looking for a new table. I found the Pearl 2004, but also a friend told my about the Grand MA light version.

I don't know the differents and I do'nt know wich table is the best either?

Can someone help me?

I will the best table for me!

I'm looking forward to a reply of someone!

kind regards

Rene
Low_ID

Postby Low_ID » 01 Aug 2006, 12:00

:arrow:
Last edited by Low_ID on 17 Aug 2006, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
Low_ID
neil

Postby neil » 01 Aug 2006, 19:36

As most of you know, I am an MA programmer too......

What does the Pearl do that the MA doesn't? NOTHING.

What does the MA do that a Pearl doesn't? Everything and much more.

Differences:

* Price; Pearl £8000, MA Light £1200 (the Ultralight is £8000).

* DMX Expandability; the GrandMA Light can be expanded to 8 universes for about £1700 extra, and you can have upto 64 universes of it via NSPs.

* Fixture control. The avo desks rely on faders for generics and buttons for movers. On the MA Light, you can pick up your fixtures in the same way you would a pearl with faders, or you can type in the fixture number (like on a strand), or you can use the Layout View and view where the fixtures are on stage, and touch the fixtures.

* Submasters the MA Light has 10 motorised + 20 buttons, the pearl has 15 faders.

* Theatre stack the MA will do a simular theatre stack to the Strand or Hog II, shove the stack on one fader. Theres a GO button to activate the stack, you can for example put your theatre stack on fader 1 and have the other 9 as 'playbacks' like you would in a gig.

* Screens, the Pearl has a very small one plus one external. The MA Light has 1 internal touchscreen (with 6 viewing Macros) and 2 external monitors.

* Timelines, the MA can do timelines, time coding etc very very easily.

* Groups the MA will automatically create groups such as odd/even.

* Attributes. rather than twiddling, the screen on the MA will show you the gobos/colours in your fixture, you tocuh which one you want, press enter and there it is.

* Networking etc, MA does a FREE WYSIWYG-like program, you cna network this into your console.

Thats some of it........what is your purpose?

Maybe you PM me if you want to nknow more or arrange a demo??

Cheers

Neil
rene

finally question

Postby rene » 01 Aug 2006, 21:43

Hey Neil

Thanx for the info you have gived. Know, I have a better image of the differents between the two tables.

I finally have one question:

1. When I run a show life, wich table is easier in use, when I want to impovise in the show?

I'm looking forward to your answere.

Kind regards

Rene
(iCe)

Postby (iCe) » 01 Aug 2006, 22:44

Not much difference I think, if you know the consoles well you can acheive your show on both. Just a way of thinking and preparing.

For larger shows the Pearl might become a bit slow, the MA has lots of overhead so it won't. The MA is a brand new console, the Pearl is based on a solid design. Both will probably work fine but the MA does have some advantages (that's just a fact).

I think you can't really compare the two, that would be like comparing apples and oranges. The Avolites Diamont for instance, is built for larger shows and thus has more capabilities!

I had the same choice about a year ago. I chose the Pearl because I needed a console that every guest operator would know. The MA wasn't that known back then and I couldn't wait for it's approval by other techs. The price of the Pearl made the difference. If I had to make the same choice now, I'd probably take the MA. Not because of bad experiences with the Pearl, but because of the power and potential the MA offers.
neil

Postby neil » 01 Aug 2006, 23:36

Hi Rene,

I prefer to busk with my MA it has an unlimited number of presets, pallettes etc. Where as the pearl relies on you plotting them. I know it sounds lazy, but I think you know what I mean?

The MA is a brand new console, the Pearl is based on a solid design. .

Actually the MA is older (or just as old) as the Pearl, the GrandMA was devised in 1999.

I think you can't really compare the two, that would be like comparing apples and oranges. The Avolites Diamont for instance, is built for larger shows and thus has more capabilities!

Actually the MA has the same capabilities throughout the range. The MA has much more power, so using a Light is the same as using the full size console, which has much more power then a Diamond.

I chose the Pearl because I needed a console that every guest operator would know

This is very true, however anyone who can use a Hog, can really use an MA. And theres lots of Hog operators, although AVO seem to be more popular, howver these days most people seem to be able to use MAs as well as AVO desks. Howver I am sure you get some Hog only people turn up at your venue?
mumbles

Postby mumbles » 02 Aug 2006, 00:16

If you're asking how they compare, if you have no experience of the MA, then, assuming your rig isn't going to be particularly large, I would choose the pearl. This is because the pearl is, as far as I have found, much more intuitive and easy to pick up. Especially if you will have many touring ops, then most if not all will be able to just turn up and use the pearl, but few will be able to use the MA unless they have previous experience. This is something that will hopefully change as the MA becomes more popular.

The decision will depend on who will be using it, and what it will be used for. If it is just going to be you and a few others using it, then learn both and demo them. Then decide based on your experience of them.

Choosing a console is a very personal thing that you have to decide based on what you need, and what suits your application.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 02 Aug 2006, 01:41

Although I see many Hog ops and recently MA, Avo is still by far the most well known. I do think you inflated the price of the Pearl!

Anyhoo, is there a MA Light simulator? That way you could try out both consoles in a limited fashion.

I would suggest asking this at http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php? which is a general forum where you will get much wider experience base.
(iCe)

Postby (iCe) » 02 Aug 2006, 10:12

neil wrote:Actually the MA is older (or just as old) as the Pearl, the GrandMA was devised in 1999.

Maybe, but the Pearl design is way older than that. There are some differences between rolacue/2000/2004 and what other versions there might be, but the basic design hasn't changed. That's what I meant.

neil wrote:Actually the MA has the same capabilities throughout the range. The MA has much more power, so using a Light is the same as using the full size console, which has much more power then a Diamond.

I was comparing things like direct access and accessible playbacks. The MA has way more possibilities in those areas, as the Pearl sticks to faders and buttons on the frontpanel. With too much fixtures you'll have to swop pages and no one really loves that, right?

Rent both consoles for a few days (or kindly ask your distributors for a test run) and check them out. That is the only way of knowing what's best for you.

By the way... I'm interested to see what Avo's answer to the MA Light is going to be. They'll surely admit that it's more up to speed and powerfull than their own console, so what are you going to do about that boys? ;)
dark_lard

Postby dark_lard » 06 Aug 2006, 00:20

The strangest thing I read in this post is that the avo is just so popular. Which I guess it would be in europe with it's age in the industry and reliability over the years. But here in the states no one ever knows what I'm talking about when I mention Avolites or the Pearl. I then have to explain for 30 seconds that it isn't just some new company or some ancient lighting console. The company I work for which owns a Pearl 2004 only has about 8 moving mirror fixtures. If we had anymore moving lights I might really dislike the pearl. I havn't figured out any good way to run a live show with moving lights on the fly with this console. My first really big console was the artisan2 from V*L then the HogII while I was still doing gigs on the road. I also wouldn't say that the pearl is intuitive as if anyone could figure it out easily. It's just as easy as any other console i've used. I read the manual almost completely cover to cover and then patched and programmed scenes/chases/looks for the show we were doing the next day. Same as I did with the HogII. *shrug*
Hello, I am an Amish signature virus, since we do not have technology this is based upon the honor system, you have been infected please spread me. Thank you.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 06 Aug 2006, 03:01

There are significant price differences between the Pearl and the Artisan/Hog II. They are pitched at different leagues and not comparable IMO.

The Pearl, like all Avo desks (excepting the Azure), has a traditional preset/submaster layout. This makes it familiar and easy to understand while everyone else goes for touch screens and a few faders. I know which I prefer!

Incidentally I busk shows with movers all the time without any trouble. I don't see any reason why more than 8 would be a problem. More than 100 and you probably should be looking at larger consoles, but then the budget is likely to allow this.
neil

Postby neil » 15 Aug 2006, 13:12

Incidentally I busk shows with movers all the time without any trouble. I don't see any reason why more than 8 would be a problem. More than 100 and you probably should be looking at larger consoles, but then the budget is likely to allow this.

I think its to do with power and ability. You say you don;t like touch screens, but thats the only way to get to the power the MA has.

You just can't get the power behind A-F buttons, which has been my argument for a number of years. Having to press AVO or SHIFT or something to do something else to me is tedious.

Touch screens will always allow 'direct access'.

For example presets, with AVO most people set the first 10 buttons for colour, next 10 for gobo next 10 for position etc. You can only go over to the last page of buttons, which IIRC is 240.

240 groups for 100 moving lights.........are you joking? The MA has 999 groups per atribute, and you can custumise what you see or not.

Without trying to sound too negitive, as this is a manufactuers forum, I wouldn't program more than 30 movers on a pearl. And I have done close to 50, and I got so fustrated I ended up not bothering to use the stuff on the second page.

Theres no swapping modes with the MA, where as I find when I go into takeover, come out I loose what I have put in. Or I go into takeover and swap to page 2, and all my generics on page one turn off when they are up manually. The MA does not do this, and I have never had any quabbles with it.

And the built in visualiser on the MA just takes the p!ss really. The only AVO console with this is the D4, and from what I remember you have to pay more? EVERY MA in the range has the visualiser. And they all have the same software, so there no cutbacks in software between desks like there are with the AVO desks.

Everyone I know who has had a demo of the MA has claimed to like it, I have NEVER heard a bad word about the MA. Where as suprisingly I have about the AVO consoles, particurally the Pearl. Its a good desk, lets not forget that, but as the poster asked which is better, I fell it only necessary to prove that the MA p!sses all over the Pearl.

I don't work for MA, I obviously know Richard, but I am happy to program AVO.....
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 15 Aug 2006, 19:51

I agree swapping pages/holding shift etc. is not good and accept that is a reason to not use over 30. I thought you were suggesting it just couldn't do it.

Is also true about palettes though I hope with the Expert there will be 60 direct accessible + softbuttons without changing page. It's not that I don't like touch screens - that's not a problem. But I still want the faders in a traditional layout.

If you are needing more than 240 groups then I maintain you should/would be using a larger desk anyway!

Anyhoo, I guess with the launch of the Expert there are more considerations for OP.
Phil

Postby Phil » 16 Aug 2006, 09:38

niclights wrote:Is also true about palettes though I hope with the Expert there will be 60 direct accessible + softbuttons without changing page. It's not that I don't like touch screens - that's not a problem. But I still want the faders in a traditional layout.

Yup. 60 palettes (or add/swop) buttons are accessible at any one time on the expert. Swaping pages etc is possibly something that needs to be looked at, but I beleve there were reasons for the desk working the way that it does. I just can't think of them offhand!

For the record, Vis comes with all our consoles as standard for free, although requires an additional PC on all our current range except the D4 where its internal. The Expert will have the visualiser internally and I believe it supports the autopatch features built into the D4. It's also a free download on our website for use with the simulators. Of course, it does have the disadvantage that it's not as aesthetically pleasing as most other visualisers available today.

For the OP, the "best" console is probably going to be whatever you're most comfortable with and which one is best suited for your individual needs. See if you can get a Pearl demo from your local distributor and a MA one their distributor.

Neil - appreciate your sentiments and thoughts, but could you keep the language down please. Even with the deliberate misspelling it's quite clear what word you're using.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 16 Aug 2006, 09:50

Thanks for the confirmation.

The main issue with swapping pages is the dangerous effect of [clear] over raised preset faders. This was made worse after an alteration in the 2004 builds. I think this is the main reason people try to avoid. I have discussed this much with Olie. Hopefully it is something to address in the future.

The question about vis running internally was one I had intended to ask. Surely with the processing power and OS/architecture of the Expert this 'could' run internally? That would be a big bonus!