how to combine an effect and a chase together

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

chien0721

how to combine an effect and a chase together

Postby chien0721 » 04 Apr 2018, 03:03

I don't think I describe my clearly in the title. What I am trying to say is, I have created a tilt-saw with shape generator and I also have a 6-step dimmer chase as another playback. I normally fire these two playbacks together, so I would get a dimmer chase while it's moving. However, is it possible to make this scene happen within one playback.
I tried to program the chase as below with channel mode.
1. record tilt-saw with shape generator and set dimmer to 100%, then clear.
2. record dimmer to 0%, then clear.
3. record dimmer to 50%, then clear.
4. record dimmer to 25%, then clear.
5. record dimmer to 75%, then clear.
6. record dimmer to 50%, then clear.
As you can predict, it didn't work.
I think there were people mentioning "key frame" in the previous post, but i'm not sure it's the answer to my question. Neither do I know how to use the key frame.

Thanks a lot.
niclights
The eManual

Re: how to combine an effect and a chase together

Postby niclights » 04 Apr 2018, 09:30

Shapes don't work very well in chases.

In Titan I would create a chase on a playback containing just the dimmer information (as you had originally) and then create a cue list with a cue containing the shape that also autoloads the chase playback.

In Classic I might look at whether I could use a dimmer shape instead of the chase and then just have a playback with the dimmer and tilt shape. However, this would come with compromises over speed control which could make it unsuitable.
chien0721

Postby chien0721 » 05 Apr 2018, 02:13

niclights wrote:Shapes don't work very well in chases.

In Titan I would create a chase on a playback containing just the dimmer information (as you had originally) and then create a cue list with a cue containing the shape that also autoloads the chase playback.

In Classic I might look at whether I could use a dimmer shape instead of the chase and then just have a playback with the dimmer and tilt shape. However, this would come with compromises over speed control which could make it unsuitable.

What if I do it both with cue list?
All the steps I mention will remain the same, and instead of recording with chase, I'll record it as a cue list with tracking enable and cue link after previous one.
Will this work?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 05 Apr 2018, 08:52

Yes although you would not be able to change the speed or crossfade like you can with a chase.