What's Good For Park??

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

kimwida

What's Good For Park??

Postby kimwida » 01 Mar 2018, 18:46

I don't use park function a lot, so I don't know what good for it.
If I have 12 programmed fixtures and I get a event in which I just need 6 fixtures, do I have to make 6 fixtures to park??
I think I can just use 12 fixtures programmed show file to 6 fixtures. Am I wrong?
And if I park 6 fixtures, what's good?? Low DMX load??
niclights
The eManual

Re: What's Good For Park??

Postby niclights » 01 Mar 2018, 19:04

Park provides a way to remove a fixture from patch without losing any programming.

For example when incorporating venue fixtures into a touring show on the first day there might be 10 spots occupying address 1-100 and 10 washes running 101-200 on line 1 and you program for this. The next day the venue has 6 spots running 1-60 and 6 washes running 61-120.
So now you need to repatch some of the washes to some of the addresses used by the spots. By parking the spots with conflicting addresses you can preserve the programming.

Obviously in reality it wouldn't be quite like this - you would almost certainly also be exchanging and possibly copying fixtures but the principle remains. Sometimes park is just used temporarily when exchanging or repatching.

Of course you could just change to an unused address or line and achieve the same result but by using park you don't have to worry about chosing a valid but empty address, all the parked fixtures are grouped together and the original address is retained and can be restored by unparking if required.
kimwida

Re: What's Good For Park??

Postby kimwida » 01 Mar 2018, 19:23

The next day if they patch 6 spots running 1-60 and 6 washes running 101-160, they preserve the programming. no?
I am just curious whether they do park or just patch like that.