Master dimmer vs Normal Dimmer on fader

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

djsky

Master dimmer vs Normal Dimmer on fader

Postby djsky » 25 Feb 2018, 11:36

Having a small problem with putting some new fixtures into my Quartz desk.

I’ve added two Chauvet Colorband pix USB fixtures and am using them at their full 41ch dmx capabilities.

With all my other fixtures, I simply put the Intensity Dimmer at max, record this as channel mode to a fader so I’ve got overall control on the master dimmer of each fixture along my faders.

These colorband fixtures seem to have TWO dimmers available on the intensity attribute. One is just called “dimmer” and the other is “master dimmer”.

The regular “dimmer” attribute seems to work ok, but when I do dimmer shapes, I then lose control over the overall brightness, which I accept is the way it works, however it would appear that I SHOULD be able to add the “master dimmer” attribute to my fader and still have control over the overall brightness of dimmer shapes I’ve programmed.

Now, from looking into how it all works, I’ve a feeling that maybe the personality on this “master dimmer” attribute is set up incorrectly as an LTP rather than HTP? As my fader doesn’t seem to have any control over the actual master dimmer value when I look at my programmer....

Any ideas?
Gregory

Re: Master dimmer vs Normal Dimmer on fader

Postby Gregory » 25 Feb 2018, 11:57

Yes, the Master Dimmer will be LTP as the software currently only does HTP for the Dimmer attribute. If you change your cue to Mode 2 (and set the Master Dimmer back to zero) you can the control it on the fader. Alternatively you can record a group master to override the level.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 25 Feb 2018, 12:16

To elaborate further on Gregory's post and the reasons for this implementation:

Unfortunately it's a compromise at the moment. As Gregory says, Titan only supports HTP on the attribute with ID 'Dimmer' and this is also used for the dimmer shapes. Additionally each attribute in any given personality file must have a unique ID and any attributes in sub fixtures (cells) must be linked to attributes in the super fixture for compatibility (particularly when locating from the master, for record by fixture and tracking functions).

Therefore to provide dimmer shape compatibility for multi-cell modes the 'Dimmer' attribute is assigned to the cells (and linked to the super fixture) with the compromise that the master dimmer will be LTP (as it has to have a different ID to 'Dimmer').

In many fixtures this ends up being transparent to the user - the master dimmer defaults at full and then the dimmer linked to the cells replaces this function, behaves as HTP and allows shapes on the super or sub fixture etc. The difficulty usually comes with things like colour macros or effects where their intensity is controlled by the master dimmer.

If you set the fader containing the master dimmer to mode 2 I would recommend you keep it separate otherwise you could get unexpected results (for example master dimmer+cell dimmers or cell dimmer shapes on the same fader may result in a strange response curve when set to mode 2).

Some other suggestions:

- If you are not using the colour macros or effects then just leave the master dimmer at full and work with the dimmer control. Dimmer shapes (as with all 'normal' shapes) are relative and work around an origin. Therefore to get a full range effect you would typically set the dimmer to 50% and then run the shape at 50% size. To fade shapes by fader you need to ensure the fader is set to size (or HTP in this case). Because of the relative nature and the requirement for a 50% origin it isn't always possible to get the perfect transition when fading in/out but this is true for dimmer shapes on any fixture, not just multi-cell or multi-cell with a master dimmer. Key frame shapes may be better here as they are absolute so you can have a two-frame shape where one is set to 0% and the other 100% intensity. These will natively fade by fader and behave more naturally with underlying intensity levels.

- If you don't need the colour macros, effects or shutter controls then consider using the 36 channel mode. This simplifies things as it doesn't have a master dimmer although my comments about dimmer shapes above are still relevant.

- In the personality file change the master dimmer to dimmer and remove the virtual dimmer from the cells (along with the link to the super fixture). This will make the master dimmer behave natively as HTP but will mean it will not be possible to run dimmer shapes on the sub fixtures.

- In the personality file change the master dimmer to dimmer and remove the link to the cell dimmers. This will allow both the master and cell dimmers to function natively as HTP but it will not light when located from the master and might break other functions such as record by fixture and tracking. I don't recommend this.

- Split the personality file into two parts where one is the 'master controls' and the other is the cells and then patch as two fixtures. This will give you all the functions as well as native HTP on both master and cell but is more awkward to patch and control and won't automatically patch in the integrated Capture (although you could fudge it by patching the full mode, then turn off auto-update in Capture, delete and patch as split parts).

Hopefully it will be possible to improve support in a future version.
djsky

Postby djsky » 25 Feb 2018, 12:26

Cheers for both quick and extremely detailed replies.

Absolutely Spot on!

Yeah, I’ve set my fader to mode 2 and seems to be working ok now, although have also added a second fader, so have both dimmers on faders just in case. :-)