Cue with symmetrical delay/fade

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Mars3110

Cue with symmetrical delay/fade

Postby Mars3110 » 05 Feb 2018, 16:59

Hello all,

I want to create this effect. So in summary each time I hit the playback key, the fixtures light up and then turn off in a symmetrical way.

I tried a lot of different options, but apparently nothing works for this on Titan. And I think there are some bugs out there. So here are all my attempts.

1) Create a cue list with two cues running at the same time ("With Previous" option activated on the second cue), one with 100% intensity and the other with 0%. And then use the fixture order and fixture overlap functions to create the symmetrical effect.
Sadly the fixture overlap doesn't seem to work with the second cue (0% intensity). All fixtures fade out at the same time. Don't know if it's intentional or not, but as it worked ONE time (that's the one on the GIF from the link), I think it's a bug and the only time it worked I maybe did something in a slightly different order and it worked.

2) Create a cue list with two cues (like above), but without using the fixture overlap. So I used the time syntax from the manual (page 199) to fan the delay time through each fixture.
To do the symmetrical thing, I had two options :
- By changing the fixture order from the group so the selection is symmetrical and then we can just do [Time] [Fixture] 0.4 @ 0 [Thro] 1 (for this example 0.4 fade and 0 through 1 delay). But the result with the two cues running doesn't look like what I want (it like the fixtures light up two times and then turn off, but at least… it's symmetrical).
- By doing something like [Time] [Fixture] 0.4 @ 0 [Thro] 1 [Thro] 0, so it mirrors the delay through a linear selection. But Titan doesn't seem to allow me this, because the result is a delay between 0 and 10.

Anyone has an idea that I didn't try ? I know, I could create a cue for each step or something like this, but I want something quick to do. Imagine if I have 50 fixtures for this effect…

And what do you think about the issues I had ? Is it me or real bugs (fixture overlap and the use of two [Thro] in the time syntax) ?
niclights
The eManual

Re: Cue with symmetrical delay/fade

Postby niclights » 05 Feb 2018, 17:58

All being well the overlap on fade out issue should be fixed in the next version.

In the meantime try using link offset instead of delay. For example:

- Create a group with symmetrical fixture order. ie. 4,3,2,1,1,2,3,4 (optional but I think it speeds things up)
- Select group @@ record cue list cue 1
- Select group @ 0 record cue list cue 2
- Set fade in of both cues to 0.5 sec
- Set overlap of both cues to 0 sec
- Set cue 2 to link with previous
- Set link offset of cue 2 to 0.2 sec

When fired by fader (in conjunction with fire first cue and kill at zero) this seems to work ok but there appears to be an important relationship between the fade in and link offset values and refiring seems to give very odd results indeed.
Mars3110

Postby Mars3110 » 05 Feb 2018, 18:36

Thanks for the reply. :wink:

So your workaround seems to do the trick on "regular" fixtures (one cell)… but on sunstrips I have a really strange thing happening : https://gfycat.com/EqualExcitableAuklet
I think there are some weird bugs on cue lists with fixture overlap stuff, but I can't say exactly what's wrong. Maybe it would be good to do some in-depth investigations with software engineers on this.

Concerning the multiple [Thro] commands syntax, do you know if it's a bug or not ? If not, I'll post something about this on the ideas website.
kimwida

Postby kimwida » 05 Feb 2018, 18:56

Why don't you use chase??

1) Create a group with symmetrical fixture order. ie. 4,3,2,1,1,2,3,4
2) Record two steps chase.
3) In first step, all black.
4) In second step, all white.
5) The chase's fixture overlap = 0%.
Mars3110

Postby Mars3110 » 05 Feb 2018, 19:16

Because I want a go playback. I hit go and the "effect" runs one time.
And I tried by using a chase without loop, but it's not a go playback and the issue with fixture overlap with the black step is still there from what I see (the overlap doesn't work on this step)… but maybe you managed to do it work ??
kimwida

Postby kimwida » 05 Feb 2018, 19:30

Then use a cuelist with two cues.

1) Create a group with symmetrical fixture order. ie. 4,3,2,1,1,2,3,4
2) Record first cue to all black with the group. Then first cue's fixture overlap = 0%.
3) Record second cue to all white with the group. Then second cue's fixture overlap = 0%.
4) Make a cuelist with blank two steps.
5) Autoload first cue to first step of the cuelist and second cue to second step.

Now you hit go and the "effect" runs one time.
Mars3110

Postby Mars3110 » 05 Feb 2018, 20:37

Great idea, I didn't think about this one. Though that's a lot for a small effect.
Sadly I don't manage to achieve the behaviour I want…

Hopefully the new Titan version will be released shortly with a correction for this fixture overlap issue.
Even better if we can do multiple [Thro] in one command for the cue timing.