bpm tap tempo averaging algorithm ?

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

jgavo

bpm tap tempo averaging algorithm ?

Postby jgavo » 20 Oct 2017, 15:24

What is the algorithm for averaging across taps ? The 10.1 release notes say that taps are averaged but not exactly how.

It doesn't seem to just take groups of three. Does it timeout the count at any point so if I do two taps the third is assumed to part of a new set as opposed to averaging right from the second tap ?

I'm trying to work it out with various combinations but it would be good to just know the algorithm.

Thanks,
John.
riscster

Re: bpm tap tempo averaging algorithm ?

Postby riscster » 20 Oct 2017, 16:12

I believe it averages out using a rolling window of something like three intervals (ie 4 taps) if you keep tapping the 3 most recent intervals are used.

If there's an interval that's more than a few seconds or significantly longer than the current rate it starts a new group.
jgavo

Re: bpm tap tempo averaging algorithm ?

Postby jgavo » 21 Oct 2017, 18:16

Riscster,

Thanks for following up on this. It would be really good though to know exactly what the algorithm is particularly the timeout values for when a new group of taps starts - hopefully an avo insider will help !

I've had an issue where if I do some taps and then start another group (e.g. the band has shifted a bit etc) the whole set of shapes that I have off that bpm controller slows down because it doesn't appear to have timed out from the last group and has taken the pause between my groups of taps as part of the first group. It can look really messy. I can use the wheels, but knowing what was going on under the covers would help.