Pearl 2004 Problems

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Marzipan345

Pearl 2004 Problems

Postby Marzipan345 » 26 Sep 2017, 12:11

Hi,

A guy I work for recently acquired a Pearl 2004 which has had the floppy disk removed and USB installed (by Avolites). I've been trying for a couple of days now to update the fixture library but I cannot find a simple step by step guide of how to do this anywhere. I've found various accounts of people partitioning USB drives to act as multiple floppy disks, editing text files to make custom fixtures and other time consuming and frustrating processes. I'm from an ETC and Zero88 background so I'm learning as I go.

Can anyone give me a step by step guide? Including what I need to download in the first place? As that isn't too clear either.

Thanks.
icke_siegen

Re: Pearl 2004 Problems

Postby icke_siegen » 26 Sep 2017, 12:20

Biggest question: you mentioned that this was "USB installed (by Avolites)". in that case, not only USb has been installed, but the motherboard must have been replaced with a Boris 3 board, a USB board must have been installed, and the software been updated. In that case there is a separate item in the system menu.

Before going into detail, can you please verify which USB exactly has been installed, and which software is running on your console?
Marzipan345

Postby Marzipan345 » 26 Sep 2017, 12:35

In the system menu it says 'Pearl 2004 v1.2'. It was sent to avolites in June, not sure about the motherboard but the USB port at the front has a red display of 3 numbers at one side and two buttons on the other side.
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 26 Sep 2017, 13:48

I don't know who you are referring to as 'Avolites' - was it Avolites Ltd. in London? Was it your local distributor?

3 digits must me a USB-Floppy emulator. Please ask the person who fitted this for further instructions. Usually, you need to have a USB stick formatted in a special way so that it is like multiple floppies. Then, from http://personalities.avolites.com/ (under 'Azure, Pearl and Sapphire') get all the Floppy data, and put this onto the virtual floppies. Now, you can patch from there, or create your own collection of fixtures.

But first and foremost: ask the folks who fitted this emulator. I am not saying this is illegal - actually, nowadays when all the other parts are not available anymore, this might be the only solution, and I already fitted such simulators into a few consoles, too. BUT: this is beyond any warranty, and Avolites cannot be held responsible.
Marzipan345

Postby Marzipan345 » 27 Sep 2017, 15:27

Ok, i'll look in to it. Thanks for your help.