Putting all locate values into programmer

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Judge

Putting all locate values into programmer

Postby Judge » 07 Aug 2017, 16:20

Brain freeze at moment.....we know that locate zeros everything but does not load anything into programmer. Bit is there a shortcut to make it do that?
Other than select record by stage? So it locates and sets all the zero values.
niclights
The eManual

Re: Putting all locate values into programmer

Postby niclights » 07 Aug 2017, 16:48

I can't think of a specific way but record by fixture woud effectively achieve the same thing. Alternatively you could create a palette with all the values and apply that in place of locate.
Judge

Postby Judge » 07 Aug 2017, 18:21

But locate values even if in record by fixture do not take precedence over values stored in a cue.
So if I have some lamps in a cue step with colour information in for instance, and I selected t and locate then the colour is removed.
If I then store and merge, the colour info will not be replaced or taken out.
So although locate will zero all parameters it will not enable the storage of them, unless I specifically touch those parameters with the encoder wheel.
So I am after a way to automatically load them.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 07 Aug 2017, 18:37

Interesting. As you say it looks like it doesn't work with a locate/merge. I'm not sure this is correct. However, if you locate the fixtures, clear, re-select and then merge using record by fixture it will work. Alternatively you can use the palette method.
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 07 Aug 2017, 19:26

When merging into a cue where the fixture already exists the software always records by channel regardless of the record mode. This has been the case since at least version 4 and probably earlier.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 07 Aug 2017, 20:02

Gregory wrote:When merging into a cue where the fixture already exists the software always records by channel regardless of the record mode. This has been the case since at least version 4 and probably earlier.

Thanks. I had forgotten this! In that case then it looks like something is wrong when we don't have anything in the programmer except for the fixture itself. In this case merging with record by fixture does result in all the current controls being merged:

- New show
- Patch 1x Varilite VL2500 Spot, 22 DMX
- Select and nudge pan/tilt
- Record a cue by channel
- View the cue
- Clear
- Select fixture
- Merge into cue by fixture

= cue now contains all controls.
riscster

Postby riscster » 08 Aug 2017, 09:01

Yes, that's a special special case, that fixture is considered to be recorded not merged because it's completely new. You can can try this by touching just pan on a new fixture and merging it in. You'll find it adds the whole fixture not just the pan which would be odd for a new fixture.
Judge

Postby Judge » 15 Aug 2017, 12:59

As in new to that cue?
Or added to the library?

Gregory, thanks for that info. I have been using Titan since V5 so I guess I should have known that - but somehow I have only just noticed this as an issue. As Nic says I'll make a general purpose "clear" palette
to take care of things.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 15 Aug 2017, 13:21

New to that cue.

I did wonder if that was the case although I wonder if the logic is entirely correct at the moment. For sure it makes sense to always merge by channel to avoid accidentally adding things you didn't want and, similarly, if you have a fixture that isn't currently in the cue you might expect it to record according to the mode (ie. everything if by fixture). But I'm not so sure about the way all values are merged by fixture when there is only the fixture in the programmer even if it currently exists in the cue. A use case example might be:

- New show
- Patch 10x Varilite VL2500 Spot
- Select all the fixtures, adjust pan and tilt values and record by channel
- Clear
- Select fixtures 1-5. Then you realise these are the wrong fixtures, select them again (to deselect), and select fixtures 6-10.
- Adjust colour value
- Record by fixture/ double-tap cue

= fixtures 1-5 now have all the controls.

Whether this happens much in reality is hard to say - mostly I think people work in one mode or the other so it might be unusual to have changed from by channel to by fixture here - but perhaps it should be checking the contents to determine merge mode?