Shape palettes v10.1

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Adrasoy

Shape palettes v10.1

Postby Adrasoy » 06 Jul 2017, 15:56

I've been making a whole new programming on v10.1, and I'm trying to work with the shape pallets.

Recording the shape palettes is no problem, also recording a playback with a shape palette is working.

But now I'm trying to make 1 playback Fader with a shape palette, and replace the shape palette info with another shape palette to automatically update the cue.

But if you select the group and a shape palette and try to record(replace/merge) it on another shape palette it says: Unable to Update Palette.

I'm I doing something wrong, or is it not possible to do it that way?

I hoped I made some sense.
This is not just darkness, it's a very dark darkness...
niclights
The eManual

Re: Shape palettes v10.1

Postby niclights » 06 Jul 2017, 18:02

I don't get the 'Unable to Update Palette' but something definitely seems to be wrong here. I'm sure it should be possible.
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 06 Jul 2017, 18:03

I have just tried creating and merging into some shape palettes and it appears to be working for me. Would you be able to provide more detailed steps for what you are doing including for example what type of fixtures you are using, what type of shape you are creating and whether your palettes are normal, shared or global? Ideally if you can provide steps that repeat the problem from a new show that would be most helpful.

The error message you gave is a fairly generic message meaning that something went wrong in the Titan engine when attempting to merge or update the palette. There should be more information regarding the underlying error in the log files which can be viewed by going to Tools > Additional Programs > Log Viewer Pro and then going to File > Open Folders.
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 06 Jul 2017, 19:31

Following on from information Nic provided I have found a way of ending up with the Unable to Update Palette error you described.
Adrasoy

Postby Adrasoy » 07 Jul 2017, 15:52

I'm not at the desk right now, but I'll provide you with all the info I can find as soon as I can.
This is not just darkness, it's a very dark darkness...
Quidam

Postby Quidam » 03 Aug 2017, 00:15

(Just a quick note, expanding on the same topic, so I thought it wasn't worth a new post).

While trying to do something similar I noticed that the "Link Shapes to Groups" function introduced in V10.1 seems not to be working when you build your shapes with shapes palettes.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 03 Aug 2017, 22:44

Quidam wrote:While trying to do something similar I noticed that the "Link Shapes to Groups" function introduced in V10.1 seems not to be working when you build your shapes with shapes palettes.

I've looked at this a bit and it seems to work as long as the group was used to make the shape palette. For example select group, create shape, record shape palette. Select group, apply palette, record cue. Edit group and add fixtures. Fire cue = shape runs across all fixtures in new group. However, it does look like removing fixtures from the group doesn't work (for shape palettes).
Quidam

Postby Quidam » 08 Aug 2017, 17:07

niclights wrote: it seems to work as long as the group was used to make the shape palette

Ha, yes indeed, and removing fixtures you later added to the group does also work. It just fails as soon as you try to remove 'origina' fixtures from it.

Thanks for the input ; that's good to know.

However, even if the trick worked at first try, I actually really struggled to repeat this later on.
I tested several changes to get it back to work (i.e. trying to figure whether global or shared FX palettes is something relevant here, which was kind of a maddening as I was unable to get consistent results)
until I realized all I had to do was starting fresh with new, never altered groups.

I possibly lost track here, but it seems to me there could a problem with repetitive, back and forth group editing : at some point, something definitely breaks in the group and you end up not being able to create a new fx palette linked to it.
I must add my edit was quite heavy (i.e. replacing all original fixtures by another fixture type then reverting back in the next edit), but I expected being able to
- create a new palette out of it,
- applying that palette to the same unchanged group,
- and ending with a recorded playback that updates when you just add fixture to the group - which didn't work...

PS : On a side note, it seems there's a problem with recording palettes options not being accurate in the touch menu : for example, even if the touch button says 'Shared' I regularly end up with Global palettes (which is my default setting, but the opposite is also true). It behaves normally when I cycle through the options (i.e. from and back to 'shared') before recording. But this is already a known bug, right ?