Playback Fade Times Being Ignored

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Danielllhurst

Playback Fade Times Being Ignored

Postby Danielllhurst » 26 May 2017, 22:07

I am having two problems that I think might be related.

One happens when going from one playback with movers that have a movement shape such as panning side to side to another playback where they are in a set position.

say Playback A has a movement shape and has a 7 second fade out.
Playback B has the same movers in a still position and a 5 second fade in.

when going from A to B the shape continues to move until the 7 second fade out of Playback A is over then snaps to the still position.
- We have another console on site that is still on V9 that does not have this problem and Playback A's shape will fade down until it rests into the still position of Playback B.
- I have tried many different Playback and effect settings to try to find the right combination to fix it, I even copied the Playback and Effect settings of the console still on V9

My current Playback settings
- Priority: Normal
- Shape Behavior: Overlay
- Fade Mode: Mode 2 Timed in and Out

My current Effect settings
- Shape Size: HTP fader
- Shape and Effect Speed: On Fader

and the same for the Fader Settings. All of the Playbacks I use have these settings, and they function as expected on our V9 Console.

The second problem I am having might be similar or related to the first one.

On some Playbacks that are meant for a big moment of a song I'll have a number of movement/dimmer shapes (the Playback that has most recently had this problem has 2 Movement and 2 dimmer key frame shapes.) The fade out time will be completely ignored. Yet I have had some Playbacks with more keyframes than that and didn't have this issue.
- the same Playback A with a 7 second fade out time will either snap off as soon as the fader is down or wait a few seconds to snap off or wait a full 7 seconds then snap off, but never does it slowly fade out across the full 7 seconds as expected.

the first problem happens with every Playback that has a movement keyframe shape when going to a still Playback or a Playback with a different movement shape, but the second problem only happens with I have a Playback for a big part of a song.

seeing as I don't have this problem on our console with V9 it makes me think it may be a bug in V10? I appreciate any help, thank you!
niclights
The eManual

Re: Playback Fade Times Being Ignored

Postby niclights » 27 May 2017, 10:13

In both cases you need to set the effect playback to size on fader.

It does appear that in version 9 fade times for key frame shapes would affect the size regardless of the fader mode which is why there is a difference. I'm not sure if the change was deliberate or not but I do think it is currently wrong, not least because it is a different behaviour to normal shapes. In your second example with a combination of dimmer and positional key frame shapes, if fader mode is set to 'HTP Fader' then the dimmer would fade out but not the position.

Similarly, enabling/disabling speed on fader will determine whether the fade also affects the speed or not. You might find that it looks smoother to have it enabled (ie. it slows down as well as gets smaller).

Regarding mode 2 I would advise against using this in combination with the fader modes unless you explicitly want to fade LTP values by fader as they can fight against one another. If you only have fade in then mode 0 will suffice. For fade out use mode 1.
Danielllhurst

Postby Danielllhurst » 28 May 2017, 13:27

niclights, thank you so much for the reply!! problem 1 solved!

And I'm sorry, in my post I said I was using Fader mode 2 fade in and out, but I meant I'm using Fader mode 1 fade in and out. And yet it will still ignore the Fade time I have set to the playback. I actually have another Playback for that same song that I Copied the problem fader from and it has the exact same effects (dimmer and Position) the only difference is that at one point I set a specific fade time for the movers to try to fix the previous "problem 1" where the movers wouldn't fade position into the next playback because I was on "HTP fader" instead of "Fader" and it seemed like after that it Started ignoring the overall fade time of the playback.
I set the specific fade time of the mover's dimmer to 20 sec so that they would dip in brightness and the snap (now fixed) wouldnt be seen.

I hope I'm not being confusing, but I am extremely happy that the first problem is now fixed, thank you!
Danielllhurst

Postby Danielllhurst » 30 May 2017, 01:18

I have just discovered the source of the second problem I mentioned above.

Through testing I discovered that adding a specific fade time to the moving lights does something to the Playback on V10 so that it ignores the fade out time.
This means that I can't set delayed fade in times for fixtures on our V10 console.

I'm not certain that it is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong, but like I said in a previous post, I can put a specific delayed fade in time for lights on our V9 console and it doesn't cause this problem.

Should I post about this issue in another forum with a title specified towards it? thanks for the help!
riscster

Postby riscster » 30 May 2017, 12:51

I have to admit I'm struggling to follow exactly what problem you're describing. Could you post some step-by-step instructions to create the problem playback from a new show and explain exactly what it does and what you think it should do?

Thanks
Danielllhurst

Postby Danielllhurst » 31 May 2017, 13:39

Yes I can, sorry for the confusion.

- Create Playback with 2 Movement shapes and 2 Dimmer shapes
- Give the Playback a 5 second fade in and 5 second fade out time
- Put the Playback on Fade mode 1
- Shape Behavior on Overlay
- Shape Size on Fader
- Shape and Effect Speed On Fader

- Then I press "Set" -> "Fixture"
- Choose Mover lights
- Soft Key Individual Attribute Times
- Set Dimmer fade time to 20sec

Then I proceed to raise and lower the fader and the Fade in time of the Playback is right, but the fade out time acts funny.

It will either snap right off, wait a few seconds then snap off, or wait the full fade time of the Playback and snap off.

It does this even with Playbacks that don't have any shapes on the moving lights or at all.

I can even go back and forth between adding the Set Fixture Dimmer time and turning it off and the Set Fixture Dimmer time is what is causing it for some reason.
riscster

Postby riscster » 31 May 2017, 17:28

Are you on V10.1? I've just tried that and I don't see any particularly unexpected behavior. The only things that are maybe slightly odd are that the dimmer shape comes in 5s not 20s and everything goes out in 5s not 20s.
Danielllhurst

Postby Danielllhurst » 02 Jun 2017, 13:58

no, I'm not! do you think It's fixed in V10.1?