BIOS upgrade f*cks up USB Stick

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

outputaudio

BIOS upgrade f*cks up USB Stick

Postby outputaudio » 26 Nov 2016, 13:06

While executing Avolites BIOS Update Creator 2.0 it stops with an error (2) and in the log you can see the program could not format the USB stick.
But more worse: it destroys the USB stick!!?? Its not accessable anymore and cant be formatted in Windows.

What now!?
outputaudio

Re: BIOS upgrade f*cks up USB Stick

Postby outputaudio » 26 Nov 2016, 13:07

Update: i already have 2 USB sticks now which i can throw away..... :evil: :cry:

Update 2: i was able to low level format the sticks so i can use them again. But still no BIOS nor ECN update
Are more people experiencing this error and if yes, do you have a solution ?
outputaudio

Postby outputaudio » 30 Nov 2016, 12:37

Anybody ?? (apologies for the swearing in the topic :oops: I was pretty frustrated ;))
EricS

Postby EricS » 15 Dec 2016, 17:45

As I understand it not all brands of USB Sticks are capable of being formatted as a start up drive (which is what the BIOS upgrade creator is doing to the stick) so try a different brand.
Also the USB Stick must be 4GB or less any thing larger than a 4GB will fail.
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 16 Dec 2016, 07:42

Sorry EricS but this is not completely true: you are right insofar as 4GB sticks are ideal. But smaller is not possible: the next smaller size is 2GB which is too small - and I have successfully used 8GB sticks.

Technically, less than 4GB is just lacking the capacity to hold all the data. The problem with larger sticks is slightly more complicated: has to do with the BIOS routine, the required boot sector on the stick, and the way the stick (and its controller) organizes the data. And that's why some brands are more reliable than others.
outputaudio

Postby outputaudio » 10 Jan 2017, 15:45

Thanks for the tips. I have tried another 2 USB sticks without succes.
The desk is now updated by Fairlight :|
clublights

Postby clublights » 06 Mar 2017, 04:38

The BIOS Creator is very picky I've found... if you can.. create the stick on the console , or use a Windows 7 computer if you can Windows 10 seems to cause a lot of issues.

To fix sticks that the BIOS Creator ate Use Rufus ( google it ) its a small little utility great for reformatting USB Sticks. It will recover those sticks that got borked