Help with an Effect

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

AndreH

Help with an Effect

Postby AndreH » 04 Aug 2016, 09:15

Hi All

I am struggling to get a very cool effect that I saw on YouTube (yes this is done on a MA...don't judge lol). Please look at the effect fro 0:35 to about 0:42

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFut0JlP6DE

The following I have tried:

Running a Pan Saw and a Dimmer Saw simultaneously...but it is EXTREMELY difficult to align it just right....and even when I get the timing right between the two, it goes off after a while. Then I restarted and played with both spread and offset....and it looks horrible.

I am running 16 spots, and I know there is some professional LD's here that knows a little trick to do this faster..? Any help would be very much appreciated
jsustrunck

Re: Help with an Effect

Postby jsustrunck » 04 Aug 2016, 10:29

Never tried, but I think with the Key Frames Shapes it is much easier.
Make two shapes, one for the movement. From left to right and then snap back to left fast.
The second shape you create 2 cue's. First with the dimmer full open, second with the dimmer closed.
Give it a offset and play a little bit with the timing.
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 04 Aug 2016, 10:44

If you make two layers in one key frame shape they will follow the same speed and phase which might make it easier to make adjustments and not end up out of sync while you are editing them.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 04 Aug 2016, 10:45

Exactly. The effect in the video clip looks like it has a pause on the pan and dimmer after it resets making it slightly harder with the timing. I've attached an image showing my key frame version of the effect. The first effect is the pan where frame 1 is pan on the right and frame 2 pan on the left:

pan dim wave effect.JPG
pan dim wave effect.JPG (85.26 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
AndreH

Postby AndreH » 04 Aug 2016, 11:28

Cool, thank you guys, I'm going to try it out tonight. Much appreciated :D