Shape Generator not working

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Extreme

Shape Generator not working

Postby Extreme » 27 Feb 2006, 11:16

Like the title says, for some reason the shape generator isn't working. When i press "Playback a Shape" nothing happens. And yes, i have loaded the SG.dat shape file from the Pearl disks and done everything according to previous posts in this forum. =)

(I'm using Pearl 2000)
Ed

Postby Ed » 27 Feb 2006, 11:54

Just to clarify:

Are you pressing "Playback a shape" and then getting an error message like "No shapes found"

or

Are you pressing "Playback a shape" and getting a blank menu?
Avolites Software Team
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 27 Feb 2006, 13:19

IIRC normally if there was no shape file then the shapes still appear in the menu, but in uppercase as opposed to lowercase (assuming running 2004 soft.)?

Which version of software are you running? Actual desk type does not matter.

Other than loading the shapefile I can only think you are not selecting fixtures, but then there would be a message to suit.
Just to be sure this should be the method:

Key to Program Mode.
Select some suitable fixtures using preset swop buttons.
Select 'Shape Gen'
Select 'Playback a Shape'
Select a (movement) shape.

You should see the fixture (or mirror) move.
Extreme

Postby Extreme » 27 Feb 2006, 23:06

I did like this:

To Program Mode --->
Select fixtures by pressing swop buttons --->
Shape generator --->
Playback a shape --->
Nothing happens. The menus stay the same (ie. A -button is still "Playback a shape"), and no error messages appear.

I'm not sure if i remember correctly, but i think the SW version is from the end of 1999. November perhaps...Anyway i'll check it tomorrow in case it's relevant.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 28 Feb 2006, 01:32

Hmmm. The only time the menu should remain is if you do not select any suitable fixutres in which case a prompt will appear at the top of the display.

Can you make this happen after a wipeall?

I strongly recommend you update your software. It sounds like you are running a very old build. The 2004 builds fix some serious bugs and also have many new features.
Extreme

Postby Extreme » 28 Feb 2006, 11:26

I updated the software to 11.7.2005, version 1.2. It worked fine, but wasn't able to patch any fixtures, because everytime i selected Patch/Select a Fixture, all i got was an error message saying "Memory Allocation Out of Memory".

I heard this version of P2000 doesn't have some kind of memory extension. I don't know if that's the reason why i wasn't able to patch fixtures, but it sounds sensible...?

So, i "updated" the software down to version March 2004. Now i was able to patch some fixtures, but still when patching i saw a glimpse of the same error message about memory. I loaded the shape file and did everything like before, but still after pressing "Playback a Shape" nothing happened, and all the menus remained the same...

The only positive thing now seems to be the fact that i'm not the owner of this desk. ;)
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 28 Feb 2006, 12:20

Hehe! Well, there's nothing you can damage anyway.

Unfortunately the only requirement for the new software is extended memory, which you appear not to have. Ooops. I guess I should have mentioned that!

I'm not sure of the exact details of memory requirements against the various builds. I'm also confused about the shapes. I think I need to pass this one over to Olie.....
Ed

Postby Ed » 03 Mar 2006, 11:04

It still sounds to me as if there is a corrupted shape file in the desk.

When you loaded the shapefile into the desk, did it say "shape file sucessfully loaded"?

Did the floppy disk you used to extract the personalities disk to already have files on it? If it did it could mean that not all files were extracted to it, and SG.dat is typically one of the last files extracted.

Try again this time using a different disk that has been formatted in the Pearl.
Avolites Software Team
Olie
Site Admin

Postby Olie » 06 Mar 2006, 09:56

If you get the "Memory Allocation Error" straight from a wipeall when patching there is definately a memory problem with the desk. It could be you do not have the extended memory although I would have thought you would still be able to patch. It may be that there is a more fundamental problem with the memory in the desk. Probably best to contact our Service department if the problem persists.

With the latest version of the software you will always get a prompt when you try to "Select a Shape". This prompt will vary depending on what the problem is.
Avolites Software Team