titan Mobile is too heavy for carry on baggage - again.

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Judge

titan Mobile is too heavy for carry on baggage - again.

Postby Judge » 26 Oct 2015, 15:33

I would really like a critical mass of TM users to talk to Avo about this as it is a real problem. When I first started touring my setup, which consists of a TM plus Dell XT laptop/tablet hybrid and cables, in a lightweight rolling Berghaus case. I was travelling with BA a lot and they have a generous allowance, plus my carry on stuff never got weighed.
Then I had a rude awakening at Gatwick for an Etihad flight. Your carry on bag has to be 7kg. As the naked desk weighs 7.5 kg this was a problem.
Since then I have been nabbed on a flight when I was allowed 10kg and I had to do so hasty repacking. Now I am about to fly with Air France. They allow a carry on case plus a single personal item such as laptop or camera or purse/handbag. TOTAL weight of this lot not to exceed 12kg.
Right, my setup now has a larger Acer laptop and my bag with desk, cables and PSU weighs 12kg by itself. Now I want to also take my little satchel containing tablet, phone, camera, headphones etc. so again I am over the limit and this is with an airline that actually has quite a generous allowance. AND the company wants me to bring out their Macbook with the Qlab files on it. None of this stuff can be trusted to go in the hold.
I appreciate that the TM is a solid and robust device, but it is rather shooting itself in the foot as a travelling device if its just too heavy. ChamSys makes an MQ60 which is a complete desk with screen and its only 6.5kg.
So I am strongly suggesting that there should be a Titan Mobile 2 that makes better use of alloys and composites in its construction. The more people that have experienced problems like this that let Avolites know, the more chance there is of them considering making it.
Derval94

Re: titan Mobile is too heavy for carry on baggage - again.

Postby Derval94 » 08 Nov 2015, 22:36

I am starting out with fly in shows in February and I'm slightly over 10kg with my set up too. I am wondering if I got a TM and TMW hired in from the venues will my software work with their mobile on my laptop? Have you ever done this ever?
Derval
yyy898

Postby yyy898 » 09 Nov 2015, 07:14

Your software will work with a hired mobile wing, no problem there
DMX

Postby DMX » 11 Nov 2015, 00:51

Geeze. Domestic flights sound like a pita across the pond.. Sounds more like an airline problem than a TM problem.