Scrambled VDU

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

(iCe)

Scrambled VDU

Postby (iCe) » 11 Dec 2005, 11:51

Last night I performed my second show on our Pearl (yeay!), but during programming the VDU locked up. It scrambled, displayed random flashing characters and was useless. The only way of getting descent output again was swithching the desk off or rebooting it using reset. This happened 2 times without any real explanation for it (I wasn't doing anything specific). Needless to say I need the VDU to be working, especially in Theatre Stack mode so I can read my cues from there.

By the way, the console didn't stop responding, just the VDU. I did have some crashes, console locking up on me and in need of a reset, but that was when I was in a learning stage... luckily that didn't happen again.

I also have a question about programming in theatre stack mode: why isn't it possible to run the desk in normal mode when the theatre stack is on? I did a quick search through the manual but couldn't find anything about it, and didn't figure out an explanation myself.

Console is a brand new 2004!
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 11 Dec 2005, 18:13

I assume you are running latest software.

I don't use VDU much or stacks, so I cannot rule out software, but it does sound like hardware to me. Try re-seating video card and check all connections.
Olie
Site Admin

Postby Olie » 12 Dec 2005, 09:43

Your problem is probably caused by the graphics card not being seated correctly. To ensure it is seated correctly press firmly down on the card. If this does not correct the problem then you may need to contact our service department.

To answer your Theatre Stack Question, to run the stack the add and swop keys must be in Go and Stop mode to allow you to control the stack correctly. This is only available when you are in Run mode Takeover.
Avolites Software Team
(iCe)

Postby (iCe) » 12 Dec 2005, 15:17

Ok, I'll check the graphics card...

And for the theatre stack... is there any way of working around the programmer? I basically want standard HTP/LTP behaviour, not needing to worry about what is in the programmer (and what's not). When a certain moving heads focus is a bit off, I want to change that. But when fading to the next scene, I don't want to worry about what's in the programmer or what not, just fading the current output to the next scene is fine. Anyway of acheiving such behaviour? Same goes for dimmers, though the overtake functionality is usefull here, I don't need it in the programmer. Just use actual values for fading into the next step, without the need of clearing.
AtmosphErik

Postby AtmosphErik » 17 Jan 2006, 15:05

About the scrambled VDU...
...noticed this problem also, also using a new Pearl 2004.

I can recreate the problem reliably on my desk, so this might help someone figure out what the problem is exactly:
- press VIEW button
- press lower softbutton to change to VDU-view
- select DIMMERS AND ATTRIBUTES-view

Now the VDU-screen gives you a view where you can see what preset focus you have in the programmer for your selected ligths, in the selected atribute bank. When you change values (by fader, by preset focus, by wheel) the value-section of the screen dedicated to the selected lights goes blue, with black letters, to indicate the current values are in the programmer. Now if you (rapidly) start changing values, e.g. by quickly changing color using palettes, or by raising and taking down faders, changes are your screen will scramble.

My initial thought was the (rather large and abrupt) change in screen appearance when activating the programmer was too much for the graphics card to handle, and so it sort of "backfired".

This might not be it, so if someone could tell me where to find the graphics card in the desk, I'll look at it tomorrow, when I'm near it again...

However, I have at some point known the desk to seize up at this problem. The output at the moment of "crash" was kept onstage, so luckily we didn't go all black, but other than that I couldn't get anything to work any more...
I say "crash" for want of e better word, it really wasn't a crash, because pressing the desk reset button made everything right again, as Ice has already pointed out...
(iCe)

Postby (iCe) » 17 Jan 2006, 17:56

I have refitted the graphics card, it was a little loose in it's socket. Didn't have time to properly test if the problem is gone now, but I didn't stumble upon it again. I'm doing a show next weekend on the Pearl, so I'll check if the problem still exists.

I was working in the same VDU view I think, so it seems there might be a problem there.
ChiekuRs

Postby ChiekuRs » 18 Jan 2006, 15:10

i have also had this problem once, but then no reset helped.. my solytion was to push all microchips to make shure they were in their places.. it also helps to solve some other problems.
now i open pearl and push all chips before every show - its better to try avoiding problems before you have actually met it;)
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 19 Jan 2006, 00:15

@AtmosphErik: Video card is situated at rear right of desk. Is the only 'card' as far as I can remember. Do try removing/re-seating and see if you can definitely repeat. If you can then I'll hook up a VDU and see if I can recreate.

/Nic
(iCe)

Postby (iCe) » 19 Jan 2006, 17:00

Just crashed again, but I can't reproduce it... Tonight I'll refit all chips and see if that's going to help. The console kept on working though, so I can imagine you don't notice it when there's no VDU attached.
(iCe)

Postby (iCe) » 08 Jun 2006, 19:45

Sorry for kicking this up, but the crashing isn't solved yet... I now noted the bus error displayed after the desk completely died on me and I had to reset it.

The error: Video b7b0e

The entire bus errors screen is filled with this error. Any ideas how I can solve it?
(iCe)

Postby (iCe) » 14 Jun 2006, 19:21

Next crash...

Video a4938
and the rest of the screen:
Video a493c

this is getting a bit annoying... :evil:
(iCe)

Postby (iCe) » 17 Jun 2006, 11:36

No one? I kinda need it up and running stable in about 2 weeks.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 17 Jun 2006, 12:00

I suggest you contact service direct.
(iCe)

Postby (iCe) » 17 Jun 2006, 12:40

I've send out a mail to serice@avolites.com cause I'll be out the rest of the weekend. I'll see what they'll come up with.