Symmetric circle shape

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

StijnS

Symmetric circle shape

Postby StijnS » 26 Jul 2015, 12:12

Hi everybody,

In the past (pre V9), I used the following steps to create a left-right symmetric circle shape:
1. Select all movers
2. Shapes&FX -> Shape gen -> Create -> Pan/Tilt -> Circle
3. Adjust parameters: smaller size, speed... Set the spread to eg 2
4. Select all movers on the right side of the stage (= 50% of the movers), and press "Reverse fixtures"
This would create a symmetric look: one mover goes left, the other goes right, but their pan remains aligned.

I can't reproduce this on V9. Does anyone have a tip to get this to work again?

And something unrelated: Is it possible to have the flash button of a cue use a fade out? Eg: Press the "All moles full on" button, and have them fade out in 2 secs.

Best regards,

Stijn
niclights
The eManual

Re: Symmetric circle shape

Postby niclights » 26 Jul 2015, 18:45

Reversing fixtures alone will not create a symmetrical look. This has always been the case as far as I know. To get the symmetry you just need to change the phase offset of the reversed fixtures to 180 degrees.
StijnS

Postby StijnS » 05 Aug 2015, 20:10

Phase offset seems to be the trick. Thanks, Nic!
Edit: After some more testing, it seems like there is still something wrong with your solution... When the fader is opened full, the shape looks normal. When the fader is only up halfway, the shape becomes "distorted". See This video for a demonstration.
In that video I created a shape with spread=2, and the movers on the right side of the stage are set reversed with a phase offset of 180 degrees. In playback options, shape size is set to "Fader" and shape speed to "Fixed".
This doesn't look like intended behaviour to me :roll:

Oh, and meanwhile I found out how to do the timed flash: Change the Key profile of the handle and set the grey button to Timed Flash. :D
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 05 Aug 2015, 23:04

I can see the issue in your video but when I try to reproduce it works correctly.

Is it possible that you have the fader set to mode 2 in edit times as well as shape size on fader in playback options? If it's set like this it does look wrong. The playback option replaced the old mode 2 method. Using the two together can cause strange results.
StijnS

Postby StijnS » 06 Aug 2015, 18:21

The fader mode is set to Mode 1 in Edit Times. If it is of any help to you, you can find the show file here. The misbehaving shape is on page 2, fader 3.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 06 Aug 2015, 19:33

Much like mode 2 (and probably mode 3) there is definitely a problem with fading shapes in mode 1 in certain circumstances.

However, I'm a bit confused as looking at playback 3 on page 2 shape size is set to fixed and, while the playback is set to mode 1, the fade in and out time is set at zero. If you don't need a timed fade then just set the mode back to zero and change the shape size to fader.
StijnS

Postby StijnS » 07 Aug 2015, 18:06

Indeed, I don't need a timed fade. (Still wondering how it got set to Mode 1 at all... Must have been some kind of drunk while programming)
Setting the cue to Mode 0 fixes the issue. Thanks!