Problem with connecting external monitor to Quartz

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Mikael Elvén

Problem with connecting external monitor to Quartz

Postby Mikael Elvén » 14 May 2015, 12:29

Hi! I want to connect an external monitor to my Quartz console. There's a dvi output on the desk and vga input on the monitor, so I bought a dvi-vga adapter, but I can't get the monitor to work. I've enabled a second screen in the setup menu, so that's not the problem. I've also read the manual, but it says that the Quartz has a vga output so I don't trust it that much. So, please, can someone explain how to get a second monitor up and running?
Best regards, mikael !
niclights
The eManual

Re: Problem with connecting external monitor to Quartz

Postby niclights » 14 May 2015, 19:18

DVI to VGA will only work if the DVI output supports analogue. So it might be that this is not supported and it's DVI only. Can't say for sure but hopefully someone else can clarify.
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 18 May 2015, 14:33

The connector on the Quartz is DVI-D which means that it only outputs a digital signal. Any monitors that require an analogue signal such as VGA will not work directly. Note that most DVI-VGA adapters are passive, i.e. do not convert the signal, and therefore only work with DVI-A or DVI-I connections which provide the analogue signal.

The version 8.0 manual incorrectly referred to a VGA connection, this has been removed from the version 9.0 manual.

Apologises for any confusion this may have caused.
yyy898

Postby yyy898 » 13 Oct 2015, 19:43

i have on my quartz a PASSIVE dvi to vga converter and it works PERFECTLY
djsky

Postby djsky » 24 Feb 2018, 15:27

Is this still the case? I have loads of old vga monitors kicking about, and I’m less bothered about breaking them when I take them out and about.

I did try a Dvi-A to vga adapter but couldn’t get it to work.... maybe my quartz has a newer motherboard.
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 24 Feb 2018, 16:24

As far as I am aware the port on the Quartz has always been and still is DVI-D so will not work with an analogue monitor without an active converter. I will try to confirm this.