Pearl Expert touch screen

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

lightingguy123

Pearl Expert touch screen

Postby lightingguy123 » 29 Nov 2014, 18:39

Hi guys,

Quick question. I use a pearl expert at a venue I regularly work at and it could rather benefit from having a touch wing. Does the console accept any standard touch screen or does it have to be an Avo touch wing?

Cheers
Gregory

Re: Pearl Expert touch screen

Postby Gregory » 29 Nov 2014, 23:51

Yes, you can use third party touchscreens with Avolites consoles. The recommendation is to use a monitor that supports Windows Touch (introduced with Windows 7) as this means that the drivers and utilities are already built in. Other monitors that should work are the iiyama 15", 17" and 19" resistive touchscreens.

Small print: Avolites does not support installing software or drivers on consoles as this has the potential to make the console unstable or crash.

Whatever you end up doing make sure you leave yourself enough time to test and if necessary run a recovery stick before starting to make any changes.
lightingguy123

Postby lightingguy123 » 30 Nov 2014, 09:54

Ah awesome! I'll start looking for one then!

Thanks for your advise
TheMusicMan

Postby TheMusicMan » 15 Dec 2014, 23:17

I bought myself a Viewsonic VSD-220 to use with my little Titan One laptop rig, and managed to get it functional with a Pearl Expert Pro today, as well. It's great! I wouldn't recommend the Viewsonic after using it for a few weeks, as the Android OS built in and lack of a properly sized HDMI input has proven to be annoying... for ease of use, try to find one with a VGA input!

When I plugged it in at first, the touch drivers with the Windows 7 build seemed to not be working, but it turned out that I had to use the "Tablet PC" section of the Control Panel to calibrate the touchscreen and teach the console which one was being used.

Apparently, the Touch Wing display is "Connected" or the window is "Open", even though I do not personally have a Touch Wing connected to the Pearl. Some dialogues, such as the resolution change dialogue box, seem to show up on that unseen display, which can be annoying. :/

However, once I got it all sorted out, the touch functionality is certainly helpful. It's great for fingerpainting custom logos for all of my buttons! :)
hushhush

Postby hushhush » 04 Mar 2015, 21:25

Gregory, can you tell me if this touch screen will work with my pearl expert running titan 8.1?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-UM.IT0AA.002/33490458

Thank you,
Alex
Hush Hush
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 05 Mar 2015, 12:54

From what little information there is it suggests that the touch screen will only work with Windows 8 so I wouldn't expect it would work with the console. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any information in the manual about setting up or configuring the touch part of the monitor, so it is difficult to know how it is supposed to work. There are also a couple of reviews on that Walmart page which indicate that people have struggled to get the touch part of the screen to work.
hushhush

Postby hushhush » 06 Mar 2015, 19:40

Thank you Gregory. I'm having trouble finding the right monitior. Could you give me a specific name other than iiyama? I'm in a little lower price range. Everthing I'm finding is windows 8.
jojodadj

Postby jojodadj » 08 Mar 2015, 22:12

Hi Hushhush,

We have a few of these IIYAMA screens in our stock, work great with Avolites. They are called optical touch because they use a camera to map your touches, cheaper technology than resistive and captive but work great!

http://www.iiyama.com/gl_en/products/pr ... 2252mts-3/

Joe
clublights

Postby clublights » 09 Mar 2015, 02:55

one " issue" with optical touch

it picks up ANYTHING that touches the screen.. bugs, string.. confetti.. smoke( yes smoke ... I was using my vape pen and blew the smoke out at the monitor and it fired all kinds of cues .. lucky for me it was at a good time. didn't mess the show up)

just something to be aware of. My optical touch ( a dell) has bothered me enough I'm looking for a capacitive seen to replace it.