Update Offset

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

jojodadj

Update Offset

Postby jojodadj » 10 Nov 2014, 20:34

Hi,

Im wondering if someone can clear up some confusion i'm having with offset of pan and tilt.

Am I correct in saying that if I have a position palette that is pointing to the center mic in one venue and then I get to another venue move the mover so it is now on the center mic again and press record -> palette -> Update Offset this should then set an offset on the pan and tilt and that center mic palette should also be updated?

However If i do this the offset gets set on the pan and tilt but the palette I have just used to set the offset is not where I set the movers to.

Thank you

Joe
niclights
The eManual

Re: Update Offset

Postby niclights » 10 Nov 2014, 22:16

You are correct in saying that's how it should work but when I test I cannot get the palette/[update offset] function to work at all. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it looks broken to me.

However, I don't think this is a good example of its application. If it was just a typical position update for a different fixture location relative to the target then you would just update the palette itself since the adjustments will almost certainly be different for every position. Offset is more useful when one or more fixtures have been hung in a different orientation, for example 90 degrees out.
jojodadj

Postby jojodadj » 11 Nov 2014, 19:49

Okay so its not just me?

what I was getting at is surely if I can update a palette with an offset then it would also update all my other position palettes?

Joe
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 11 Nov 2014, 20:57

It does not update the palette itself.

The idea behind the function is to calculate the difference between the channel value in the palette and the new channel value and set that as the attribute offset.

If you only had one position palette for a given fixture then the end result would be the same, but where there are multiple position palettes it is very unlikely any of the others would be correct.

Consider the following example:

Fixture hung on an upstage truss, dead center.
Two positions - one focussed downstage left, the other downstage right.
Now move the truss further upstage.
The positions will now be too wide and miss the targets.
Apply the stage left position and adjust the pan towards stage right until it hits the target.
Palette/update offset.
The stage left position will now be correct but the stage right position will be even wider than before.

So this is not particularly useful.

Offset will never replace updating of palettes and you could always survive without it. But it's a useful tool when fixtures are a long way out of position, for example when hung 90 or 45 degrees out. You can apply the offset one day and remove it the next, in each case quickly 'normalising' everything ready for fine tuning.
jojodadj

Postby jojodadj » 11 Nov 2014, 21:15

Great thanks for the advice!

Even so the whole update offset with a palette is not working correctly?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 11 Nov 2014, 23:15

Not as far as I can tell. Very confused about that.

However, the other methods do work. For example locate, adjust pan so that fixture tilts upstage/downstage, record, locate, [update offset]. Note that in this example it might be useful to temporarily change the tilt locate value so that it is pointing out rather than straight down (or up).