How can I make a timecode frame rate change?

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

emoreth

How can I make a timecode frame rate change?

Postby emoreth » 04 Nov 2014, 22:27

I've been trying to figure out some timecode settings in Titan 8 -- specifically, setting the frame rate. The manual says this should be possible via the "Timecode Edit and Offset menu", but I have yet to find anything with that name. I tried recording and editing timecode values for a cue list, and it would not let me alter the frame rate no matter what I did. The frame rate softkey exists, but pushing it didn't do anything.

Any idea why that might be or where another frame rate control might reside?
icke_siegen

Re: How can I make a timecode frame rate change?

Postby icke_siegen » 05 Nov 2014, 06:53

This menu pops up when you attempt to adjust the timecode for a cuelist you have already recorded, e.g. when you want to enter the timecode stamps manually, or when you want to tweak the recorded timecode:

timecode.png
timecode.png (49.75 KiB) Viewed 8679 times

Please know that this is not to convert the framerate of your incoming timecode. Timecode always has the framerate 'embedded', the receiving device must correctly recognize the timebase automatically (and thus there is no point in forcing the console into another timebase in the first place). But this setting here is to sanitize the values you may input to add/subtract. E.g. if the framerate is 30 fps, and you subtract 70 frames, then this number is converted to 2 seconds 10 frames.
emoreth

Postby emoreth » 06 Nov 2014, 01:04

So you can't change the frame rate of the internal timecode source to anything other than 44? What impact does that have on timecode-driven cue lists if you start on internal TC and switch to an external source with a different frame rate?
Quidam

Postby Quidam » 08 Oct 2019, 09:06

Hi,

Digging this old post because that last question wasn't answered (and also to add another one) :

So you can't change the frame rate of the internal timecode source to anything other than 44?

Also, the internal timecode settings indeed shows '44fps' but the real fps seems to be 25.
(V11.3 here)
Is this even listed as a bug ?
Any chance we could one day change the internal fps or is there a complicated reason preventing this to happen ?

Pleasant day to you all,

Ch.
Quidam

Postby Quidam » 08 Oct 2019, 09:33

Update : it seems we *can* change the internal tc fps after all : if I set MIDI and SMPT tc to 100fps, internal allows me to enter .99 times.
The FPS settings in the menu still always displays 44, and I have no idea if the internal TC is effectively clocking at 100 fps.

Anyway, something's fishy here ; hope it's just the setting button stuck on 44 and that everything else is working as expected.

Cheers,

Ch.