what is a license in v7

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

turbofex

what is a license in v7

Postby turbofex » 16 Sep 2013, 08:15

just upgraded tiger touch to v7,in system mode it shows remaining days of license 224 days in the title and there is a button says revoke license and should cause the console malfunction,pretty scary stuff

question is : if it is what's been said how do i renew my license when days are over and how to recover the console if someone accidently pressed the revoke button in the field?thx
Mbttd

Re: what is a license in v7

Postby Mbttd » 22 Sep 2013, 18:00

I also have this same issue. It is rather Odd to me. Does this have something to do with the Remote Units? IE Phone / Android Pad apps??? or so we actually have to register our desks a few times a year now??
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 22 Sep 2013, 18:29

It is not an issue in as much as it is correct that it is there. It is not anything to worry about.
Mbttd

Postby Mbttd » 22 Sep 2013, 18:53

But what is it and what does it mean?? What happens if the revoke button gets pressed???
morgan free

Postby morgan free » 11 Apr 2014, 09:11

Hi, I'd like to borrow a tiger touch with v7, but I noticed that in the system is the time in days, what happens as the time elapsed? company of which he wants to borrow does not allow you to upload the firmware, also noticed the revoke system
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 11 Apr 2014, 10:28

Since 7.3 the system has changed so there is no time limit. I suggest the company updates to the latest version.
morgan free

Postby morgan free » 11 Apr 2014, 11:12

what happens as time passes?
SLS

Postby SLS » 11 Apr 2014, 20:36

No comment from Avo - it will stop working.
The desk will not work when the time elapses, you will have to register the desk and get a 'key' or licence from Avolites and upgrade to the newest version including all the bugs.
These seems to be no option to be able to keep and old version which is tested and trusted.
Good luck
Ric

Postby Ric » 12 Apr 2014, 07:49

Hello Morgan Free,

Please PM me the details of the owner of the console you wish to borrow and I will contact them to about version Titan version 7.4 installation to ensure they are fully up to date.

The licensing system ensures genuine owners can always upgrade whilst owners of copy products are denied an upgrade path.

If anyone has any problem with upgrading they can always contact me personally by PM or emailing (ric at Avolites.com).

Richard Salzedo
Managing Director
morgan free

Postby morgan free » 12 Apr 2014, 10:09

hello, but I'll take on the route trusted Grand MA, there will be no problems with licenses
Ric

Postby Ric » 12 Apr 2014, 20:01

Just to reconfirm we want and do support all genuine users.

Version 7.4 and 7.5 do not have timeouts, they require a simple licensing operation through our web site and this takes perhaps 5 minutes.

From this we immediately issue a 14 day license and within 4 days (generally within hours) this is upgraded to a Permanent License.

The Permanent License will work for all reinstalls of the software and operating system including a complete disk reformat, and for future software releases.

Even if you cannot get to a computer you can obtain a Quick License by phoning anyone who can access our website, or by using a smart phone to access the web site (http://www.avolites.com/software/titan-licensing).

-------------------

I noticed reading through the posting that there are a few things I had not replied to:

1 The “Revoke Button”. It did/does not do anything! This was accidentally left in v7.0 to v7.2 it was originally used for Beta version testing. It no longer exists.

2 Re Licensing several times a year. As explained above there is no need to re-license future software versions or on any regular basis.

3 Timeout on versions 7.0 to 7.2. Each of these has a timeout, but well before this, a warning is given with the number of days left to request an upgrade. The only software changes from v7.0 have been bug fixes, and in 7.3 the addition of Fixture Attribute Mapping. Fixture Attribute Mapping works in conjunction with Show Import and Fixture Exchange, allowing you to import a parts of a previous show, exchange the fixture types from that show to the fixture types you are currently using and adjust for differences in fixtures on an attribute basis …all in one go, keep that mapping for future use … and obviously reverse changes and re modify as needed.

4 Tried and Trusted software. I can understand some of the fear of upgrading to a major revision. Here is the counter argument. Personality files don’t always work well with older revisions causing obvious or insidious problems. It is impractical to fully test personalities on previous major revisions. Worth noting that we make and test personality files and have full time experienced staff to do this, and have a very extensive library of tested fixtures (you can also make your own personality files using the Personality Builder, or edit existing files to meet your needs).

There are many background bug fixes between revisions, whilst old bugs might not affect a user at present, they could and often do in the future.

Aside from fear that a new software version might introduce a problem that was not found during our Beta testing … and all manufactures of lighting consoles have this problem, what other reason is there not to upgrade? To overcome this for v7.0 to v7.2 we allowed a substantial overlap time out between versions, and anyway this is now in the past because Full Licenses don’t time out. Furthermore if a user has a genuine reason that prevents them from upgrading such as a very long tour or show they should contact me on an individual basis so I can make alternative arrangements which I will happily do. (Please PM me or email ric@avolites.com).

The only users that need to be concerned about the Licensing System are those using copy products which are all running unlicensed and unpaid for software.

I hope this fully answers all the points made in this posting, but I am always willing to answer PM’s or emails if anyone has further questions or observations.

Richard Salzedo
Managing Director