Titan Mobile weight and travel solutions

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Judge

Titan Mobile weight and travel solutions

Postby Judge » 06 Jul 2013, 15:47

Since I got my TM I have flown around with it a lot. Been to Germany, Australia, New Zealand and just recently Argentina. It travels in a Beghaus 40 wheelie bag along with the Dell Latitude XT2 tablet/laptop. With this lot and all the cables its quite a heavy bag but has not been a problem till the last journey when they wanted to weigh my carry on. I have never had that happen before - and it turned out to be overweight by a couple of kilos. I got around it by taking out the TM in its Avo bag and taking it separately. Stupid really as it still all ends uo on the plane in the overhead bin, just in separate bags.
So I'll be going to Brisbane soon and flying with Etihad. Just checked their luggage restrictions and its 7kg for a carry on bag. The TM weighs more than that by itself! What to do? Its not going in the hold for sure.
This will become more of a problem in the future I think and maybe Avo should look at making the next version lighter with the use of aluminium and composites. It all very well having a little desk that you can take everywhere but no good if its too heavy. Virgin too apparently have draconian limits, as do most Middle Eastern airlines. BA are the most generous.
Anyone else run into problems with theirs?
CSmithDesign

Re: Titan Mobile weight and travel solutions

Postby CSmithDesign » 06 Jul 2013, 16:58

I ran into this in Australia, too. However, even with Virgin you've got a good chance that they won't ask. The key I've found is to have a carry on that doesn't "look" like it's heavy :).

If they do ask, I just give your TM to one of your crew to hold while you check in with a mostly empty bag!

The TM is very heavy, but it's also very sturdy, maybe changing the materials would affect that. Either way, the TM is still the best piece of mobile hardware (in my opinion) out there! They did a great job balancing size with number of playbacks, buttons, and features. I'm a native MA 2 programmer, but I'll never buy their Command Wing while it's too big to fit in a carry-on! Also, it only has 6 playbacks with 6 executors. Not enough!