2 touch screens on Pearl Expert

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

DUSTINSNYDER

2 touch screens on Pearl Expert

Postby DUSTINSNYDER » 07 May 2013, 03:05

Is it possible to use 2 external touch screens with the pearl expert (not using the touch wing) ?
icke_siegen

Re: 2 touch screens on Pearl Expert

Postby icke_siegen » 07 May 2013, 07:22

Unfortunately no, this is not possible. The DVI connector doesn't carry DVI signal, but some internal graphic signal for the display in the Touch Wing.
DUSTINSNYDER

Postby DUSTINSNYDER » 07 May 2013, 17:31

Ok. But, you can have 2 with the touch wing, right?
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 07 May 2013, 17:58

Yes, the Touchwing's display acts as (primary) display.
DUSTINSNYDER

Postby DUSTINSNYDER » 07 May 2013, 18:33

Thanks! Having trouble finding a touch wing on short notice, so I'm having an expert delivered on site tomorrow. When setting up the touch monitor they are sending, is there anything I should know about configuring it. In the manual, I didn't see anything about installing a driver or plugging in the usb. I will have very limited time on site and just want to spend more time programming than messing around with monitor setup.

Cheers!
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 07 May 2013, 20:21

Gregory wrote:The best touchscreens to use would be those designed to work with Windows Touch which was introduced with Windows 7. Such touchscreens will work without having to install any additional drivers and the configuration tools ('Tablet PC Setup' and 'Pen and Touch') are included in Control Panel on the consoles (note that the tool icons won't appear unless a compatible touchscreen is detected). In most cases you will need to configure the touchscreen to correct monitor so that the touch moves the mouse to the correct place, this can be done in the 'Tablet PC Setup' in Control Panel.

The way I would approad this is if it works straight off the bat then fine but I would not waste any valuable time otherwise. Most things can be accomplished using the Expert hardware. For those that can't there is the trackpad.
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 07 May 2013, 20:33

If they're sending both, the console and the touchscreen, let's hope everything is already setup. I found almost all kinds of combinations, from 'works out of the box' to 'works not at all'. In addition to Avo's offiial statements, I hardly found touchscreens which worked with W7, without additional drivers...

I fully agree with Nic: don't waste time with this. The only things you should be aware of:
- System -> Display Setup: enable only the display which is connected, disable all others (else your windows might open in the void)
- Tools -> Control Panel -> More: this brings up windows system settings. Sometimes I had even straight TFT displays which were not detected correctly. Adjusting the resolution manually, and setting the desktop to 'extend to this display' is always a good choice
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 07 May 2013, 21:28

Good points. Particularly screen resolution. This is not always done correctly automatically and in my experience few hire companies will have set this up but it makes all the difference having it at full resolution.
DUSTINSNYDER

Postby DUSTINSNYDER » 09 May 2013, 15:17

They provided an Elo touchscreen, it does not show up in the touch wing set up. Ideas. Also, I'm trying to hook up an artnet to dmx box for universe 5 and 6. I set five to broadcast universe 0 and 6 to broadcast universe 1 but am not seeing them. I tried it at the original ip 169.*.*.* and @ both 10.2.2.1 and 2.2.2.1, but no luck.
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 09 May 2013, 15:59

I sent you a PM.

- does the display show anything at all?
- what software version is the console running?
- what kind of Art.-Net node?

I'd suggest:
- try to make the display show anything, but forget about the touch functionality
- then, debug the Art-Net thingy, so that you can output the required signals
- touch functionality would be my very last concern in this situation - I'd try to place everything I need on the console

S.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 09 May 2013, 16:21

Agreed re screen. Unless there's a very specific reason for needing touch I'd just leave it. As long as you can see things on the display that's enough.

Art-Net needs to be on the same subnet. If it's not adjustable on the box then you need to set the console to match its subnet. Note that 169.x.x.x is not valid and suggests there is no network. A typical reason for this is where there are multiple adapters and the wrong one is selected. Check this in the console.