setting curves for fixtures when patching

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

rdl lighting

setting curves for fixtures when patching

Postby rdl lighting » 02 Mar 2013, 11:28

I am using titan v6.1 on a Pearl Expert.

Is it possible to either specify a dimmer curve when patching a fixture or to edit a fixture curve once patched?

I want to be able to set a fixtures dimmer curve as a relay so that for example I can trigger a dimmer to switch on a mirror ball motor. I know that I can set the dimmer curve on an ART dimmer but I do also use less 'intelligent'(?) Dimmers that do not have this level of adjustment.
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 02 Mar 2013, 12:01

The first-hand approach doesn't work: dimmer curves at patch level are not (yet) implemented. Curves are defined per playback/memory.

However, you can do the same thing in various other ways, which depends from your programming.

- if you really want to have this on a fader (for quick access on the Expert), you can patch a standard dimmer, then put this at full and create a cue, and finally set the cue's curve to relay. Backdraw: if you accidentally lower the grand master, the relay wouldn't really work.
- better way: patch it as 'generic relay'. But this will be LTP, and in the 'Special' attribute group. Either you give it two buttons (one for 'On', another for 'Off'), or you record a memory with Mode 2 (LTP Fade), or you record a memory and set its release settings accordingly - in which case there is a slight chance of failure, in case the desk 'forgets' about the power-on values to which it should release for 'off'.
DUSTINSNYDER

Postby DUSTINSNYDER » 13 Mar 2013, 19:45

How about setting a dimmer curve for a not so high end led fixture that pops on at the at the low end and really does nothing above 50%?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 14 Mar 2013, 00:47

As Sebastian said above it is currently not possible to set dimmer curves at a fixture level. But you can set them on a per playback basis for cues:

- [Playback Options]
- [Curve] (you may need to page forward or back to show this)
- choose a curve from the softkeys
- Exit
- [Edit Times]
- toggle to mode 1

Note it is not possible to set curves for chases or lists.

If you need a custom curve you can edit the curve.xml file. On consoles this is located in D:\TitanData\FixtureLibrary. On PC this is located in C:\Program Files\Avolites\Titan\FixtureLibrary. Be aware that editing this is an advanced function and not officially supported as far as I am aware. That said, it's reasonably safe.

Finger's crossed you might see fixture level curves in a forthcoming release. And hopefully UI editing of the curves a bit later.
DUSTINSNYDER

Postby DUSTINSNYDER » 15 Mar 2013, 20:52

Thanks Nic. That's good to know. In the future, this would be very advantageous in lists. How about a more specific problem? I have some 3w led pars that the red and green channels have a decent dimming range, but the blue only dims between like 30 and 50 %. Is there a way to alter the personality of a generic RGB + dim + str so that I can assign the top and bottom of the dimming range?
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 15 Mar 2013, 21:26

Of course you can do so, by adjusting the 'DMX Start' and 'DMX End' values:

However, I'd recommend to find out what is with the other - non-dimming - values. Maybe you should add some more ranges, to use the fll potential of your fixture.
Last edited by icke_siegen on 22 Mar 2016, 06:36, edited 1 time in total.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 15 Mar 2013, 21:59

I think Dustin is just saying that there is no appreciable difference in output outside those values. Note that as it says at the bottom of the screenshot you can also adjust those values from the DMX values tab. One of the advantages of the DMX values table is you can input (and view) 16bit values as 8-bit which is usually easier. This is an option from the Tools menu.

I would experiment to find the best ranges using the original factory personality. You can use DMX output view to see the actual DMX values (as opposed to the percentage values shown on the wheels and in the channel grids).