Stepping through chases - changes from pearl2000 - 2004

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

CoenCo

Stepping through chases - changes from pearl2000 - 2004

Postby CoenCo » 19 Feb 2005, 00:24

I just ran into this strange thing today..
Using the 2000 software from march2004 I usually just stop a chase, and step through it using the "STOP" key.. Today I had a 2004 with v1 soft and it didn't work like I was used. I had to look for an hour (and ask someone else) before I found out I had to tap the "NEXT" key TWICE before it stepped to the next step..(only for the first manual step)

Has this been a recent change in software, and why was this done??
The change isn't in any of the release notes.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 19 Feb 2005, 13:56

I did ask about the change in STOP functionality, but forgot all about it. Will chase it up - I'm not sure why it was removed - was very handy, mainly because it was a bigger, more accessible button IMO.
Current solution is 'Chase Control'/ Forward/Back sequence buttons. Will see if I can repeat the tapping twice for first step issue you mention.
CoenCo

Postby CoenCo » 20 Feb 2005, 18:20

cool.. thanx in advance :)
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 20 Feb 2005, 20:02

I could not repeat the tapping twice problem. Tried it a few times, both after stopping chases and with 'unlinked' chases.
Are you able to repeat it? If so, post details of chase type etc.
CoenCo

Postby CoenCo » 20 Feb 2005, 21:24

I don't have a desk at hand, so this is using the sim2004 and "stage view-fixtures" as a diagnosis tool.

I have 6*mac250 and named color Pallettes for amber and blue.
Color paramater is set to fade (NOT instant)

I create a chase swapping the colors for odds and evens. This is 2 steps. Set LTP fade to 0, LTP wait to 0, (rest is default), manual mode and speed wheel allowed, fader reloads chase. takeover after GO disabled. LINK=on

clear programmer, go to run mode
I raise the fader, the chase starts and autoconnects.
I use STOP to stop the chase, the indicators show me that I'm somewhere in the "fading"part between two steps: LTP is fully faded, HTP is fading
==> ODD macs are amber
I hit NEXT the first time, It finishes the HTP fade, and is at the beginning of the fade for the next step.
==> ODD macs are still amber
I het NEXT the 2nd time, LTP fades in 0secs
==> EVEN macs are amber, ODDs are now blue
HTP fades during, say, 1 second. and the chase is ready for the next step.

Perhaps it's more a problem of the way I set the timing in the chase???
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 21 Feb 2005, 00:39

I think what you are seeing is normal. It is just because you have the chase fading.
When you stop the chase part way through the fade, the Next button will initially 'complete' the fade. Therefore it will seem as if nothing has changed when it snaps to the end of that step.
If you stopped the chase really early in the fade, then pressing Next would see the change you would expect, just as if the chase was set to snap.

The timing settings can be confusing at the best of times, especially when trying to understand them through the CRT or vis (which does not simulate the fading of colours).

I assume you do this the same way, but to make sure, I would generally not play with Edit Times for this type of chase - just store the steps and set the speed/x-fade.

I hope that makes sense. It's damn difficult to explain this kind of thing!
CoenCo

Postby CoenCo » 21 Feb 2005, 13:38

OK, I will try that :)