Midi faders and palettes on Titan mobile

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

DUSTINSNYDER

Midi faders and palettes on Titan mobile

Postby DUSTINSNYDER » 09 May 2012, 05:17

Hey there,

I am using the Titan mobile and just got an Akai MPD26 which has 6 faders that I want to use for Leko specials. Do you know of a way for me to use them without them directly correspondinding to the faders on my desk.
What I tried was writing a single leko cues on page 60 and assigning the faders on my midi controller to match, but when I change page the midi faders only control the active page and not the specific playback that I want.

I'm also wanting to use the drumpads for palettes so that i have tactile feedback when I trigger pallets. I figured out how to record them, but with mixed results. is there a specific midi command that is appropriate? note off? on? etc..
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 09 May 2012, 07:10

- for the first question, why not programming the cue into the playbacks window - no physical fader needed
- for both questions: make sure you set Trigger Type=Item when defining the triggers. It sounds like you recoreded them as Trigger Type=Hardware, which gives strange results often enough.

DUSTINSNYDER

Postby DUSTINSNYDER » 09 May 2012, 09:16

Thanks! I didn't know about the playbacks page. That's is a great feature. It's useful for loads of other stuff as well as the midi fader thing.

What is the = hardware option for, just out of curiosity?
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 09 May 2012, 10:39

Hardware controls the physical control (fader, button, key), hence, if you make a trigger for fader 10, it will always be fader 10, no matter what page. Furthermore, this takes the key profile into account: if you define a trigger for a touch button in the playbacks page, which by default is set to 'latch', any MIDI change will toggle this button on/off. Really weird.

In turn, item is the very cue (or such) which is currently programmed on that fader - and this is usually the way to go when defining triggers. In that case, you can define the function which should be controlled by the trigger (like: set level, swap, etc.) - key profile doesn't matter.
DUSTINSNYDER

Postby DUSTINSNYDER » 09 May 2012, 18:39

Thanks again. I do have a few more questions on this subject.

What is the situation with midi ch verses midi note or control #?
The default on my MPD 26 is that all midi ch are 1A but the drum pads are note where as the faders and nobs are control change. The reason that I ask is that when I record palettes on the pads, it sees them all as the same, where as the faders and knobs recognises each as a different key. I can set the pads to individual midi chanels, but there are only 32 1a-16a and 1b-16b. This made the palettes work, but as my mpd has four pad banks, I can only assign two pages before I run out of midi ch.

Also, When I record the pallets, they work but only instantly. I cannot use a time with them. I will experiment with changing the pads to control change and see how my results vary. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!
DUSTINSNYDER

Postby DUSTINSNYDER » 09 May 2012, 20:31

It seems as tho the palettes want to be = hardware, as this is the only way that I have found where the "release to apply palette dialogue appears" but it is still with mixed results. As in some of the time it works.....I have achieved a timed palette with this option, but if the velocity isn't right, it doesn't work. I tried setting the pad options to Full, but the avo still seems to be reading the velocity and does not trigger unless it is hit with max velocity. The options I have on the mpd are: midi ch, note or prog chng, momentary or toggle and Chanel pressure message, polyphonic pressure message or off.

I have played around with these settings, but haven't figured out the right combo. When I use = item, my only action possibility is select item. This works to apply the palette, but no timimg is possible and I do not get the "release to apply palette" dialogue and I still have the velocity problem.

Thoughts?
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 09 May 2012, 21:31

I must admit I have no means to test this myself - the BCF has only faders and buttons, no velocity keys. Maybe someone else can provide some info. I will try to fetch a pad myself, but this will take some days. Sorry.
ChrisLIT

Postby ChrisLIT » 13 Jun 2012, 22:10

Just to clarify for my own sanity. I can use Midi to Usb controllers on the Tiger touch correct ?

I am using a Korg Nano Kontrol. and Cant seem to get any playbacks to work.

I have followed the manuals instructions.
for virtual playbacks i have set the trigger to "item", action to "set level". I selected the Playback then stimulated the Console with the Korg controller. and setup the trigger.

Still no luck.

Could it be i have midi ch or command option set wrong ?

What should i have the Midi channel set to ?
what should i have the Command set to ?
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 13 Jun 2012, 22:22

I fear this won't work: the NanoKontrol sends MIDI via USB - and this doesn't work with Titan. In order to trigger Titan via MIDI, you'll always need a 'real' MIDI source - and a MIDI cable, of course. Sorry, mate.
ChrisLIT

Postby ChrisLIT » 14 Jun 2012, 01:46

Alrighty then.
that would explain why the Akai Mpd24 wouldn't work either via Usb.
But the Aki Mpd 24 does have standard Midi cable. so i will try this tomorrow.

Thanks for the clarification.
ChrisLIT

Postby ChrisLIT » 14 Jun 2012, 19:36

Standard Midi cable from Tiger to akai Mpd24.
Still not having any Luck.

I have tried both Hardware and Item selection.

:cry:
ChrisLIT

Postby ChrisLIT » 14 Jun 2012, 19:44

ahhaaa! we got it. Nevermind for now :)