fixture Groups and exchanging

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

peter.rodda

fixture Groups and exchanging

Postby peter.rodda » 21 Oct 2011, 20:21

Do groups function like palltes? In the sense that, if you change the group, then the programming will be updated?

Say you have 6 fixtures on the back truss for one show, say mac 250s. You do all your show programming by going “Group ALL BACK SPOTS, apply position pallet, apply colour, etc. – save cue”. Then, next venue for the same show you have 10 fixtures on the back truss, say Robe 250 spots. Can you just park the Mac250, patch the Robe 250s and update the group ALL BACK SPOTS to be the 10 robe 250s, and they will all follow the programming?

Or does one need to use fixture exchange rather than updating groups? If so, what is the case when you go from less fixtures to more? If you programmed for more fixtures and then have less, it seems understandable… but what if you programmed for fewew fixtures, and now have more? You don’t want the fixtures aligned, you want to add them to the programming and add them to the position pallets.

What happens to odd/even selection patterns when more fixtures are later added?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 22 Oct 2011, 00:03

Park the mac's and then exchange by patching robe's over the top.

Use copy fixture for when the show has more. You can then go and update palettes where necessary - ie. positional. Or, for things like colour or gobo using shared palettes means this all happens automatically anyway.

Selection patterns work according to fixture order. The order for groups or cues can be edited at any time.
peter.rodda

Postby peter.rodda » 02 Nov 2011, 16:19

Could I first copy fixtures, then exchange? Or must I exchange then copy? Any differences between them?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 02 Nov 2011, 16:37

They are two separate functions. You can use them in any order.
peter.rodda

Postby peter.rodda » 02 Nov 2011, 23:41

Ok, so just to make sure:

When I copy the fixtures, the new fixtures will be included in all the programming already done for the original fixtures that were copied?

When I exchange the fixtures, then they will translate most of the programming?

And when I readdress the rig, and update all the pallets, then I should have my normal show, but with all the new fixtures included?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 03 Nov 2011, 01:46

Yes.