Hardware or software fault?!?

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Pete McCrea

Hardware or software fault?!?

Postby Pete McCrea » 18 Oct 2004, 10:22

Hello all.

I've had a look through the forum, and can't find any topics that seem to relate to the problems we've had with the 2004 software on a 2000 desk.

I loaded the 2004 software, then checked the desk before putting it out on a job this weekend. At the job the operators have reported some funny glitchs/bugs with the board. It was running 8 Mac 500's and a load of generics:

1) With a pair of heads selected, and at position of 17, then winding the value upto 40, the desk seemed to add the 40 onto the 17, so over shooting as it were. (This is how the op described it to me!)

2) Programming a focus, with 4 heads: Position 1 is saved, the heads located, then the new position focus is saved. When it was recalled head one would retain the position data for focus one when focus 2 was selected.

3) I also had complaints that when storing a focus after using several of the attributes, then selecting 'Dimmer' to save all the atributes into the focus that it was only recalling various attributes, not the entire focus.

4) The response to the wheels seems to have been inacurate and random.

The desk seemed to function ok on the last job that it was on under the 2000 software, so I'm hoping that it isn't the hardware, and is maybe a software issue, or even better it's simply small changes required in the way we program the desk.

Please help, as I think we're better off in the long run staying with the 2004 software. But hey if we have to then maybe it's time to go back to the older version.

Pete McCrea
CSS Ltd
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 19 Oct 2004, 02:05

Hi Pete,

I have had the 2004 software installed on two 2000's for some time now, during which I have used it on all sorts of shows. I have never encountered any of the problems reported.

The wheels now have different response options. Shift+2 cycles through the various settings. Linear Fast is pretty much the same as the older software. The Squared and Cubed settings are 'accelerated' allowing fine and coarse editing depending on how fast you are moving the wheel.

I can only suggest re-installing the software if the problems persist.

Nic.
Olie
Site Admin

Postby Olie » 19 Oct 2004, 09:40

We have not had anyone report to us any of the problems you have described above.

Reading through the faults, most of them sound like a missunderstanding of how the new software works, specifically wheel acceleration.

Since non of the faults you described are critical I would recomend sticking with the new software to see if other people experience the same problems.
Avolites Software Team
Pete McCrea

Postby Pete McCrea » 20 Oct 2004, 12:28

Reading through the faults, most of them sound like a missunderstanding of how the new software works, specifically wheel acceleration.

:D :D :D Was kinda hoping that might be it! Never the less I'll have the desk out and try and replicate the 'Problems' they reported to me. I'll keep you posted......
Pete McCrea

Postby Pete McCrea » 21 Oct 2004, 17:15

One of the questions put to me is whether the 2004 Pearl is different in terms of it's hardware, or is it just a cosmetic and OS upgrade? If it's the same Hardware, then there should be no reason for problems with the software....