2 Cue Lists, 2 Pages, 1 Fader

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

CSmithDesign

2 Cue Lists, 2 Pages, 1 Fader

Postby CSmithDesign » 17 Aug 2011, 21:05

I just had a show where I tried to run two cue lists off of one fader of my Titan Mobile and was unable to do it.

The setup was: One cue list on page 1, Fader 1 and one cue list on page 2, fader 1. When the page 1, fader 1 cue list was active, I could not activate the page 2, fader 1 cue list.

Does the Titan software not support this? That would really hurt as I often need to run many cuelists at a time (and especially don't want to have to release cues on a certain page to free up the fader for the page I want to use it on, this takes up way too much time in a live setting).

I know that using the Hog 3 software, there's an option hidden away in the system settings that allows the cue to remain running in the background so the fader is free when you go to the next page; does the Titan software have an option for this? I was not able to find it.

I really hope that this option exists or will exist with an update soon; I almost always fill up more than one page of faders in a short time and I often times need them all to be able to run at the same time. Please let me know if I'm missing something or if this is in the works.

Thanks,

Chris
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 17 Aug 2011, 22:00

100% second this, see http://www.avolitesshop.co.uk/phpBB3/vi ... c&start=25

Unfortunately it's not possible right now: you always heve to release an active cue before firing the same handle on a different page. I hope now it's understood thta this is what people are asking for...
Last edited by icke_siegen on 13 Oct 2011, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
CSmithDesign

Postby CSmithDesign » 17 Aug 2011, 23:02

Yeah this is a major drawback, I hope that this gets addressed soon. I assume that this is the case on the Tiger Touch and Pearl Expert as well? Part of me was hoping that it was just a reduced functionality thing for the Titan Mobile...

Please look into this, Avo staff, not having this function makes me have to think about using the Hog or Maxyyz that much more when considering which desk to use for a job when I'd rather be using an Avo.

Chris
LowlandsFreak

Postby LowlandsFreak » 13 Oct 2011, 16:36

I had the same problem on the Tiger Touch today. I hope that in the next version of Titan cue lists will release automatically.
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 13 Oct 2011, 17:31

Since you can make cues firing macros in version 5, I am pretty sure at least this would be possible (auto-release cuelist on last step)
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 13 Oct 2011, 18:21

LowlandsFreak wrote:I had the same problem on the Tiger Touch today. I hope that in the next version of Titan cue lists will release automatically.

Can you clarify what you mean?

The OP in this thread was asking to be able to run more than one playback at a time from the same physical fader. But release means other things to me.
LowlandsFreak

Postby LowlandsFreak » 13 Oct 2011, 20:42

Well, I had had 3 cue-lists under 3 playback faders on one page and 3 other cue-list under the same faders a second page.

The manual say if the cue has a fade of 2 seconds it will release automatically after changing page or else close the fader and reopen it, it doesn't release the cue-lists from the previous page.

Now I have to release the one by one with the Avo button.

Another thing I noticed about cue-lists is that it doesn't always go back to the right value. I programmed a list with 2 cues. Cue 1 was a raw dmx value of 73 for the shutter of my Mac 250 Entour and cue 2 was a raw dmx value of 50. But it didn't fully go to 73 or 50 sometimes.

Also when I set this cue on manual cross-fade then the cue stays on pause until I've reached 100% and then it goes to the second cue.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 13 Oct 2011, 21:22

I wonder if you have misunderstood the manual? There is no automatic kill after changing page that I know of. If you can find the section please let me know the page so I can check.

To kill cue-lists there are two other options. First is [Playback Options]/toggle to [kill at zero]. This will kill the list when the fader reaches zero. The final option is to use Off. Once in the Off menu you can either choose a single playback to release or choose [release all playbacks]. Whichever is used the playback will fade its release according to the time set in the Off menu.

I cannot find any problems with values using 'Go', but I am seeing inconsistent results with crossfade. There does appear to be a bug and I will look into it further. Regarding staying on paused I notice this happens if you have a fade time of 0s. I'm not sure if this is correct or not but setting a fade time is a solution if that was the cause.

As for the original request the capability is almost certainly not an issue but how to implement it is more complicated.
LowlandsFreak

Postby LowlandsFreak » 13 Oct 2011, 21:50

niclights wrote:I wonder if you have misunderstood the manual? There is no automatic kill after changing page that I know of. If you can find the section please let me know the page so I can check.

I actually refer to 2 things in the manual on page 68. In 6.2.3 it says to lower and raise the fader. It works for chases, but not for cue lists under the same fader on different pages. In 6.2.4 it says channels will always release with a fade time of 2 seconds.

niclights wrote:To kill cue-lists there are two other options. First is [Playback Options]/toggle to [kill at zero]. This will kill the list when the fader reaches zero. The final option is to use Off. Once in the Off menu you can either choose a single playback to release or choose [release all playbacks]. Whichever is used the playback will fade its release according to the time set in the Off menu.

As I remember I programmed it as [kill at zero], but this didn't work. When I changed a page I had to use the off/release button for every cue list from the previous page, but that turned everything to o/w. It worked better with the Avo key.

niclights wrote:I cannot find any problems with values using 'Go', but I am seeing inconsistent results with crossfade. There does appear to be a bug and I will look into it further. Regarding staying on paused I notice this happens if you have a fade time of 0s. I'm not sure if this is correct or not but setting a fade time is a solution if that was the cause.

I had a fade time of 2 seconds in my cues, but it stayed on pause. But using the Go also didn't do what I wanted. It fades the cue but the raw dmx value for the shutter of my mac's didn't fade, it flips from 73 to 50 and the other way around, from 50 to 73, when reaching the next cue.

niclights wrote:As for the original request the capability is almost certainly not an issue but how to implement it is more complicated.

I understand, but if it could, that would be great. Or maybe I have to use another way to get the wished for effect, maybe through macro's or something else.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 13 Oct 2011, 23:41

Section 6 of the manual is about cues. Cue-lists are in section 8.

For a cue-list to behave the same way you must set the option [kill at zero]. I have never seen any problems with this. Please check again.

6.2.4 refers to using Off which does work as it describes (both for cues and lists).

I cannot find any problem with fading raw shutter values using Go. If you can repeat this please detail steps to reproduce. Or, similarly, if you have a show that demonstrates this would be useful.
LowlandsFreak

Postby LowlandsFreak » 14 Oct 2011, 08:10

The Raw values work fine if you use the go button, but I want it on a manual cross fade. Because it's a cue between open shutter and 100% strobe. If I do that, it doesn't go to wright values most of the times.

Thanks for the help about cue-lists. I'm going to try it today, the [kill at zero]. If that doesn't work, I going to program a button with a macro to release all cue-lists.
LowlandsFreak

Postby LowlandsFreak » 14 Oct 2011, 08:37

I've recreated the manual cross fade with the raw dmx values on my pc in the editor and there it does the same. It doesn't go all the way or over the values I specify (73 and 50).

The [kill at zero] does the trick, thanks.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 14 Oct 2011, 10:46

Yes, there is definitely a problem with crossfade. Thankyou for finding this.

Fade across ranges in v5 will mean you can achieve variable strobe from/returning to open using a cue in mode 2, so that will hopefully be a better solution.
EmmaThompson

Postby EmmaThompson » 17 Oct 2011, 22:09

To return to the OP, there is also a playback page which can contain many cue lists/cues/chases which can be run at the same time.

Playbacks active on different pages is something which is possible in the Sapphire Touch, due to the motorised faders, with the non-motorised consoles finding an effective way to implement it which doesn't do more harm than good is something we are looking at.

We know it's something people want, and we do pay attention! All of our features and the order in which they are prioritized and developed is taken from feedback from our users and the lighting industry.
Emma Thompson
Training and Events
Avolites
CSmithDesign

Postby CSmithDesign » 19 Oct 2011, 22:07

Thanks for addressing this, Emma. I do use the playback window on my TM very often and it's a wonderful feature (especially with a touch screen). However, having the real faders and the ability to have multiple cue lists running from the same fader is still a very big deal to me.

For one way to implement this with non-motorized faders, you could simply look at how the Hog 3 handles this: It remembers exactly where the fader was when you switched pages. When you come back, that fader will become active again when you cross the threshold of where it was when you left the page.

So for example, if the fader was at 60% when you changed pages, then you pulled it all the way down on the new page. When you change back to the original page, the fader wouldn't do anything to the cue until you pushed it back up to 60%, then it would would work like normal again.

That's one way to do it. This feature would be wonderful to have, thank you for looking into it.

Chris