Help - External Monitor Titan Mobile

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

rabeiler

Help - External Monitor Titan Mobile

Postby rabeiler » 25 Feb 2011, 03:16

My Titan Mobile arrived this evening. I have a 21 inch HP touchscreen monitor and 2nd 19 inch monitor connected to the PC. The touch screen is the default windows monitor and the software is fine on but I am not able to figure out how to use the 2nd monitor on the system with the Titan software.

I can't find anything in the manual other than some stuff about setting it up in windows - which is already working fine for me. If i take a window and open up the little "i" to adjust settings I see the button for External Monitor, but no matter what I try it does nothing. I tried various options with the Avo button and the top right window control which seems like it should do the trick - but no luck.

Help.

Ross
Ross Beiler
Freelance Designer
Ephrata Performing Arts Center
litefish

Postby litefish » 25 Feb 2011, 03:32

hi
i am having the some issue
with my titan mobile
my main screen is fine but the second screen
just adds more desk top
tryed to adjust this in windows XP
do i need 2- video cards for the titan software
to see 2 screens
looking forward to the answer from avo
thanks litefish
rabeiler

Postby rabeiler » 25 Feb 2011, 14:23

Just to clarify for my issue. The second monitor is setup as an extended desktop in windows 7. In windows, everything is fine. I can have Titan on the touch screen and other programs displaying on the 2nd monitor.

My problem is that I don't know what it takes for the software to recognize that there is a 2nd monitor or to create something called an external screen - which seems similar to what HOG does. Once I get an external screen I should be able to move to the 2nd monitor. My problem is I can't figure out how to initiate the external monitor.

Thanks,
Ross
Ross Beiler

Freelance Designer

Ephrata Performing Arts Center
EmmaThompson

Postby EmmaThompson » 28 Feb 2011, 10:10

Hi all,

The Titan Mobile can only output to one screen. This is the only limitation in comparison to the other Titan consoles, it still does 12 lines of dmx, and has all the features of Titan. There is still the option in the software to switch to the external screen, which will be removed.

Thanks,
Emma Thompson
Training and Events
Avolites
SLS

Postby SLS » 04 Mar 2011, 15:06

Hi Emma, this is not how the Mobile was marketed to me.
We have been trying to get 2 ELO touch screens working with a mobile for the last week!
I was told that it would support external touch monitors as long as the PC or laptop was set up for them and the desktop extended.
I think Avolites needs to think about this again. This is a huge negative against this brilliant console or is this deliberately done to restrict its appeal.
Even the budget end of the PC DMX market have realised that you need to run a visualise on a separate monitor.
With the Mobile its trapped on the same window as every thing else!
EmmaThompson

Postby EmmaThompson » 04 Mar 2011, 17:50

Who told you it could do otherwise? For a console listing at £2200 in the UK you get a lot of value for money with 12 universes and the full Titan software!
The software will indeed support an external touch monitor, but can only output the software to one screen.
If you wish to use visualiser on another monitor, you can still do this - just open the vis program separately on the other screen (see the Vis manual available to download).
Then you get the software on one screen, and vis on your laptop or another screen, which I believe is what you are trying to achieve?
Emma Thompson

Training and Events

Avolites
SLS

Postby SLS » 04 Mar 2011, 18:53

Hi Emma, it was the sales guys. The question asked was
Can i place the play back buttons on a seperate touch screen.
Anyway, your right I do want to put the Vis on the laptop screen to give me more work space on the touch screen for those buttons.
Problem is when its started on laptop screen it has no fixtures from the mobile patch. If I put them in manual they do not respond.
Any idears
:roll:
EmmaThompson

Postby EmmaThompson » 04 Mar 2011, 22:54

Which one? I shall poke them with sharp sticks! Perhaps they meant you can have the playback window open on a touch screen, separate to the faders on the physical mobile.

If you patch the fixtures on your Mobile, then you can save the theatre separately to USB and load it into Vis - saves all that faffing patching them manually. The option will be in in the box to the left of the softkey options. You will need to download the ACDI plugin from our website to get Vis and the Mobile talking - instructions will be on the download
:)
Emma Thompson

Training and Events

Avolites
SLS

Postby SLS » 04 Mar 2011, 23:49

Thanks Em, Ill give it a go. could this be looked at for future versions.
To be able to undock panels would be very useful option.
Anyway its past my bed time and the bar will be closed, thanks for the help.
SLS

Titan Mobile Extra screens

Postby SLS » 05 Mar 2011, 14:25

Hi Emma just to let you and others know, running the Vis in seperate widow works. You do not need the ADCI for some reason just set it to sim and it works.
Now the bad bit- if I press the Vis button on the console it snaps it to the Titan pannel and you have to start it again. On 3 occations its crashed the Titan software, it dissapears from the desk top. The application hides, by running the windows task manager (CNt alt del) its still running and you have to kill it before running again.
Once restarted its OK until you pess the button again.
You may want the the vis running during a live show if programing in blind mode.
Have fun

Window 7 premium
Duel Core
4G mem
ELO screen
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 05 Mar 2011, 14:44

I was going to say that I didn't think you needed ACDI but couldn't be 100% sure. The only apparent difference is the auto update stuff which doesn't appear to work. Selection highlight and Blind are fine.

You just need to be careful not to use the dedicated Vis keys which are designed to work within the workspaces. I suspect the crashes are related to a confused state where multiple instances of Vis are not allowed.
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 09 Mar 2011, 19:10

To confirm, ACDI is not required to run Avolites Visualiser with other Avolites software (e.g. Pearl Simulator, Diamond 4 or Titan) on the same machine. ACDI is only required if connecting to another visualiser, connecting over a network or with a serial cable with classic Pearl consoles.

It is exact the same Visualiser application (currently version 7.20) which can be started separately (as described above) or as a workspace window. You can only run this application once at any given time so it cannot both be a separate window on a different monitor and a workspace window at the same time. For the same reason, the output in Visualiser will be exactly the same, including blind mode and highlight, if it is run separately.
Hallaman

Postby Hallaman » 24 Mar 2011, 10:24

Hi Emma,

Just a quick note. The external monitor is referenced throughout the user manual and is also noted on the surface itself.

This makes me think this is a feature that has been removed?

JB
SLS

Postby SLS » 24 Mar 2011, 11:21

Just to add my last post on this matter
I also agree with Hallaman, the manual is littered with referances to more extra monitors.
I will say again that when this product was demonstrated to me I was shown that you can use more than on monitor to increses work space.
To Quote section 10.1 of the manual
'and a second monitor if you have one connected can each show up to 4 work space windows'
It is indeed as Hallaman said referanced on the control serface itself 'other montor'
rsmck

Postby rsmck » 29 Mar 2011, 19:08

I have ordered a Titan Mobile which I don't have yet but I was rather hoping from the manual to be able to use one external monitor...

The (pdf) manual I have makes reference to a "second monitor" as follows in three separate places;

"For extra workspace, Titan Mobile can utilise a second monitor if your PC has a suitable graphics card."

"This option gives you a menu for enabling and disabling a second VDU monitor. If you don’t have a second monitor connected, set this option to “Disabled” to improve the performance of the system."

"You can move the active window to a second monitor, if you have one connected, by pressing Avo and the Size/Position button,"

Specifically in my case I'd hoped to use a small external touch screen for palettes and such... if this isn't possible I have to figure out how to retrofit a touch panel to a 1st generation MacBook Pro ;)