Windows 7 OS on Expert

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

LJ-Jochem

Windows 7 OS on Expert

Postby LJ-Jochem » 17 Dec 2010, 09:25

I was wondering if it is possible to install Windows 7 on the Expert. reason for this is that we are looking for a touch screen monitor instead of a normal monitor.
Without light, it's just radio...

Pearl Expert Titan
HP2310ti Touch Screen
Pearl Tiger
www.Brothers.nl
EmmaThompson

Postby EmmaThompson » 17 Dec 2010, 10:05

We support touch screen drivers for the following two models of touch screens on the Pearl Expert and Tiger Touch:

NEC MultiSync LCD195VXM+
iiyama ProLite T1731SR

Others may work but may cause your console to become unstable as we have not carried out extensive testing on others.
You will need to install the drivers that come with the monitor in order to get the touch screen working.
Emma Thompson
Training and Events
Avolites
LJ-Jochem

Postby LJ-Jochem » 17 Dec 2010, 12:38

Thanks for your reply Emma.

We have purchased us a HP2310ti. There are HP drivers to let the monitor work with XP. So I don't expect problems.

Advantage of this monitor is the 23" wide-screen which give us a big workspace and we had a great offer (under 200 Euro).

Pearl Expert Titan

HP2310ti Touch Screen

Pearl Tiger

www.Brothers.nl
LJ-Jochem

Postby LJ-Jochem » 29 Dec 2010, 11:12

Yesterday installed the HP2310ti 23" touch monitor and this one works also. The only problem we had was that the USB port on the back of the console was not working with the monitor. We plugged it in the one above and as a miracle the screen worked.

Programming was much more easier and faster. The only thing that we encountered was a loss of our scroll wheels on the console and instead of these we had 3 "soft touch scroll wheels" in the right corner of the screen. Problem of this was that they jumped from 0% directly to 100%, so nothing in between. Choosing CMY colors was a problem and the pan/tilt function was worthless. Luckily we found in the system mode an option to set the scroll wheels on the console in command. A Picture of our setup

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 9898985619
Last edited by LJ-Jochem on 04 Jan 2011, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.

Pearl Expert Titan

HP2310ti Touch Screen

Pearl Tiger

www.Brothers.nl
(iCe)

Postby (iCe) » 03 Jan 2011, 21:27

Your photo link is dead, and I was just getting curious :)
LJ-Jochem

Postby LJ-Jochem » 04 Jan 2011, 08:22

The HTML link is not working I see, Why? I don't know. But copy/paste below link into your browser and it should work.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 9898985619

Pearl Expert Titan

HP2310ti Touch Screen

Pearl Tiger

www.Brothers.nl
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 04 Jan 2011, 12:49

for all the curious - Jochem sent me the pics:

Club is Brothers at Bunnik (near Utrecht), The Netherlands (http://www.brothers.nl), Total capacity approx. 4,000 party people over 4 different area's.
LJ-Jochem

Postby LJ-Jochem » 04 Jan 2011, 14:02

Thanks for posting the pics on the Avo forum. Somehow I always struggle with posting pictures into a forum.

With respect to the CMY colors and Pan/tilt, let me explain a bit more. Due to the "jumping" from 0% towards 100% with the "soft touch scroll wheels" this ain't working. You can't manage an Indigo color with only 0% and 100% CMY colors, somewhere you have to choose for a particular color a setting of, let's say, 20% this isn't possible. This is also applicable on the Pan/Tilt function. You can't say 20% pan. It will always be 0% or 100%. Maybe this is a setting in the console, I don't know. But for now we do it the old fashioned way with the real scroll wheels. There is a setting in the console which activates back the console scroll wheels.

Pearl Expert Titan

HP2310ti Touch Screen

Pearl Tiger

www.Brothers.nl
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 04 Jan 2011, 14:13

The touch wheel only allows quick access to full/zero (denoted by the up/down arrows). It is designed to be used with the wing/tiger touch where the physical wheels do fine adjustment. Really I don't know why you have that screen at all. I think you should be using the normal external display which isn't cluttered up with all the bits associated with hardware you don't have.

For touch adjustment you can use the attribute editor workspace.
LJ-Jochem

Postby LJ-Jochem » 04 Jan 2011, 15:19

Nic, I understand were you coming from. But for us this is the best solution, to have a touch screen monitor instead of the original Avolites touch wing. Sure, if we could choose between the two and money was not playing a role we will also go for the original Avolites touch wing, but for us the touch screen will do the job also. It is a big difference to spend 200 Euro for a touch screen against the 1,500 Euro cost for the touch wing :wink:

Besides that we have a fixed grid so not lot (re)programming. We will mainly use the screen to have quick selection of the fixtures and colours. Now we only have to tap the screen with groups and colours (or colour picker) instead of first typing group numbers and then select a colour/gobo. It's just way easier to tap a soft button. This touch screen really boost the workability of the console in a more friendly way :D

Pearl Expert Titan

HP2310ti Touch Screen

Pearl Tiger

www.Brothers.nl
Olie
Site Admin

Postby Olie » 04 Jan 2011, 15:21

If you read my other post about connecting external Touch Screens you will see that I have said you can not connect a Touch monitor unless you already have a Expert Touch Wing connected.

http://avolitesshop.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1524

Please be aware that making changes or additions to the console such as this may mean we can not support the console in the future and you might be asked to return the console to its original state before we can provide support.
Avolites Software Team
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 04 Jan 2011, 15:37

LJ-Jochem wrote:Nic, I understand were you coming from.... <snip>

I'm not sure that you do. I was not saying that you should not use a touch monitor but that you seem to have the wrong window open on it. But obviously Olie's post is more important and probably explains why you don't have the normal external display window.
LJ-Jochem

Postby LJ-Jochem » 04 Jan 2011, 17:00

Nic you are aiming on the attribute window I suppose? Which could solve my problems I have encountered. If so, somebody in the forum tipped me and I see now what I did wrong. Sure, I did open the attribute window but at that time I had not selected any fixtures so it was blank. Now I have the controll over the colour picker and all the other features in it. I think my problems will be solved with this attribute window. Your help is always much appriciated.

Pearl Expert Titan

HP2310ti Touch Screen

Pearl Tiger

www.Brothers.nl
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 04 Jan 2011, 17:06

Yes, the Attribute Editor window for adjusting values.

But you are also using the layout designed for the Wing/Tiger Touch. Things like wheels, softkeys etc are not much use without the hardware. Maybe the playbacks and workspaces are but it all takes up a lot of space. The normal external display layout will just have the workspaces. I don't understand why you have the wing layout and not the normal external display but it may be for the reasons Olie explained.
(iCe)

Postby (iCe) » 04 Jan 2011, 18:18

Olie wrote:If you read my other post about connecting external Touch Screens you will see that I have said you can not connect a Touch monitor unless you already have a Expert Touch Wing connected.

http://avolitesshop.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1524

Please be aware that making changes or additions to the console such as this may mean we can not support the console in the future and you might be asked to return the console to its original state before we can provide support.

Could you please elaborate on this? Hooking up a touch monitor instead of a regular monitor is only supported when you also hook up a touch wing? So you'd have two touch monitors then, right?

I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to replace the mouse / trackpack thingy with touch. This doesn't alter any input signals or features, does it?

We we're thinking about doing the same thing. The external monitor windows are nice, but things like the pallet buttons are quite useless when you have to grab a mouse to click them. A touch screen would dramatically improve that, even without a wing (which would be even better offcourse, but there are always budgets involved in the real world).