question about rewriting an r20 file

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Tumbleweed

question about rewriting an r20 file

Postby Tumbleweed » 05 Apr 2009, 16:47

i need to change the base value on a fixture's shutter attribute from 35 to 20...

If I was to edit the r20 file , would i need to repatch the fixture, thus losing all the programming info on it, or would it just read the new r20 file and treat the shutter base value as 20?

The Mac 700 wash has a base value of 20 on the shutter. the Mac 700 Spot has 35 for a base value... I need the to be the same so shutter shapes will work right...

and when I say 'base value', i mean the value entered when you locate the fixture...
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 05 Apr 2009, 18:30

Personalities are stored within the showfile. There is no automatic update and there is no designed update function. There is a cheat whereby you can patch an extra fixture (making certain fixture is same name as originals) and some elements will update across all instances without affecting programming. This certainly works for range tables but I have no idea whether it will for anything else.

However, I really don't see why you would need to do this. Surely you can just create a palette or cue to preset the values? That's what I do. There's no law that says you should use locate.
iadwm

Postby iadwm » 06 Apr 2009, 21:41

niclights wrote: There is no automatic update and there is no designed update function.

Unless I have misunderstood the OP's question....What about the <update personality> option?

Regards,

Andy
"It's the prospect of hearing something that you could never have dreamed existed"
John Peel

www.iadwm.com
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 06 Apr 2009, 22:33

Umm. Perhaps. Forgot about that! Maybe I was thinking of that for range tables.

Whichever, I've checked and the 'cheat' method does work for locate. But I still think it's not the best way to set shape origins.