Effect lighting on Azure

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Pete_Paranoid

Effect lighting on Azure

Postby Pete_Paranoid » 15 Jan 2009, 03:03

moderation note: split from original thread

Hi,
Has anyone used effect lighting with an Azure 2000?
I recently bought an Azure and have been using a competitor's novice desk and it uses sliders as masters, and the last bigger desk I used is, excuse my french, a hog 2k a couple of years ago at tech college.
I know it can be done as I thought it through logically, and I saw an Egox4 in the fixture library website for my desk.
I don't mind if it's a bit awkward, but how do you patch and operate effect lighting using an Azure desk?

Thanks in advance.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 15 Jan 2009, 04:04

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'effect lighting'.

I looked up the fixture. It has six channels - dimmer, shutter, gobo, colour, mirror and macro.

Are you just asking how to get the fixture from the library onto your console?
Pete_Paranoid

Postby Pete_Paranoid » 15 Jan 2009, 13:48

No, the x4 was just a example.
I do a lot of outdoor festival type of events so I actually like the weather proof membrane.
I just want to know how to use a colour changer, or in the case of the original thread, a L.E.D. par can with the Azure?
Sorry if I'm being too progressive or thinking too loud.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 15 Jan 2009, 19:47

The reason I moved this was because you mentioned the Martin fixture. This has a dimmer and so will control just like any other moving light. Given the flexibility of the console there are numerous ways depending on application and how you prefer to operate.
For example you could store complete looks containing all attributes into playbacks, or you could choose to have just dimmer on a playback and recall all other elements from palettes. Another way might be to place LTP items such as colour onto a playback in mode2 allowing you to select colours by moving the fader. This is all covered in the manual.

Colour scrollers can be independent fixtures or, more often, are combined with a 'pending' dimmer channel. This allows you to patch your dimmer address on top at its relevant address, keeping the scroller and dimmer on their associated handle. The scroller channel will be LTP and programming remains the same as for any other fixture.

LED fixtures without intensity masters are a unique problem. You have the option of patching as LTP or HTP. With LTP you will not be able to fade by fader. The only advantage I see for this is if you have a large number of fixtures and you are reaching the console limit for HTP (240).

Because of the lack of dimmer you lose the flexibility of traditional fixtures where you might program only intensity and select colours from palettes. Instead you must store exactly the look you require - ie. a blue chase or a red chase etc. You can make use of palettes to help program, but not operate. There is no way around this on an Azure or standard Pearl. The Hog, D4 and Titan Expert have virtual dimmer.
Pete_Paranoid

Postby Pete_Paranoid » 11 Mar 2009, 02:32

Thanks for tip, it sounds like a sensible solution to the problem!