Five questions on a Pearl 2008

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Ari-

Five questions on a Pearl 2008

Postby Ari- » 10 Dec 2008, 17:00

Hello,

As I am not a regular "english speaker", I apologize for my english wrintig. I am somehow familiar with the Pearl 2008, but still have the following questions:

1 - It is possible to run several chases from a single fader? For example, lets say I already have programmed 3 chases, each one having their particular wait in/out, timing, link=on/off etc. So I want to trigger them all in one playback and so run them, but each one with its respective timing (wait in/out etc). Is this possible in the Pearl 2008? How it is done?

2 - What the Connect button does? How I use it?

3 - It is possible to copy a playback data from a roller page to another?

4 - If I have, for example, 3 groups of moving heads (for instance MAC600, MAC500 and Cyberlights) and want they make the same chase (lets say, move from back wall to audience position in a concert), but not at the exact same time, this means, some fixtures delayed in relation to another: the 600's first, so the Cybers and them the 500's in a continuous fashion. In this case, the movement of the 600's don't end and then starts the Cybers and so on. During the step of the 600's the 500's starts its movement and so the Cybers, all ending in the same point. It is possible in the Pearl 2008?

5 - I heard that there is a way of switching the DMX Out Lines without repatching/reprogramming. How this is done in the Pearl 2008?

Thanks in advance,

Ari.
johnhuson

Postby johnhuson » 10 Dec 2008, 19:57

Your english is fine, far better than a lot of the younger generation in the UK!

To answer your questions:
1. No this is not possible, this would require some sort of cue stack function which the Pearl 2008 doesn't have.

2. The connect button is used for 'connecting' to a running chase so you can alter it live. Say for example you start a chase running on Playback 1 and then start another on Playback 2. As it stands you have control over the speed/slope etc. of the chase on Playback 2. Should you want to go back to controlling Playback 1, you would press Connect (the LED's of active playbacks with chases will flash) and then press the Playback Swop button for the playback you want to control.

3. Yes and no, you can't copy complete roller pages but you can copy individual playbacks one by one using the Photocopy function. The manual explains the Photocopy function if you're unsure.

4. This is possible but only by programming it all step by step as a chase.

5. This is possible, using Repatch Fixtures in the Patch menu, it's all explained on Page 121 of the current manual.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 11 Dec 2008, 00:26

To add:

3 - Note that using photocopy creates an 'unlinked' copy. Holding a grey button (copy from) and then pressing a blue button (copy to) without using the photocopy function will give a linked copy.
If you edit a linked memory, all associated copies will change. Unlinked copies remain individual.

4 - Really this is not possible on a standard Pearl. Individual fixture/attribute timings are only available on D4/Expert Titan.
Ari-

Postby Ari- » 11 Dec 2008, 21:04

Thank you guys... these questions I've trying to answer from a long time ago without reaching any point!!

6 - So, if I want to make a complex movement, as I said, for instance making the same moving steps with three groups of fixtures, each one at its time/step would be possible programming three chases (each one with its wait, fade in/out etc) and running them at once? In this case, I'll aways need raising these three faders, or pushing three swops at once in order to get this delayed effect, or any other simultaneous-chasing effect?

7 - I tried to program a two-step chase where the first step is recorded by fixture (for marking the scene, color, gobos etc) and the second is pretty much the same, except it was recorded by channel with the channels I want to replace by the palletes are down to zero. When I recall this chase and go chase parameters> stop on last step > exit > clear > raise the playback, the chase runs as I expected, but the lights fade out after last step and I didnt got what happened.
My idea is to recall a complex scene with gobos, colors etc and have, instead, the option of use the palletes without have to program each color/gobo step, maitaining the first step position, shutter, intensity for example.

8 - Another question I have is about the Shapes of Pearl 2008. Does it have any shutter shapes (like the dimmer shapes)? Me and my friends always have been programming shutter sequences as chases, but if it does exist as a shape program or something.. it will be very nice especially for large rigs!!

Thank you a lot for the help!!!
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 12 Dec 2008, 00:48

6 - Yes. You could do this with multiple cues, each with the necessary wait/fade times and fire manually simultaneously.

7 - I'm afraid I don't understand. Can you explain more clearly what you want to do?

8 - There are no shutter shapes but it is not difficult to create your own by editing SG.DAT. Search the forum for more help on this. Shutter shapes and their usefulness has been discussed before. I'm not convinced!
Ari-

Postby Ari- » 12 Dec 2008, 02:39

Thank you Nic for your help!!

I'll try to explain what I want to do and what I did.

I was programming a rock and roll concert with several chases, memories, shapes etc. In the middle of a song the drummer makes a drums solo, alone in the stage I want to light him using a static position, but the first scene is in red with gobos. The drums solo is not the same every night, so I want to have the option of using palletes (presets) of gobos/colors during the drums solo, but aways starting with red and gobos, instead of clear (as I do using palletes). If I use palletes instead of playbacks, it will be better because I save playbacks for more important cues of the show.

My initial idea was to program a two-step chase, the two steps in the same position, the difference is only the first step is with red and gobos (recorded by fixture); and in the second step it is color/gobo clear (recorded by channel), in order to use the palletes instead of playbacks memories, in order to keep the previous steps color/gobo/position etc until I change it using pallletes.

Any suggestions of the best way to do it?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 12 Dec 2008, 13:08

What you are wanting to do is quite normal.

But I'm confused why you are wanting to use a chase & I think you misunderstand the concept of the two record modes.
Record by channel stores only the information in the programmer. Record by fixture will store all values of all attributes for any fixture that has any single attribute in the programmer.

Whichever method you use, you can still recall any palette over the top. If the fixtures are selected then this will remain until you press [clear] and then fire a cue/chase step that contains the relevant attribute(s).
If you use Quick Palettes and don't select any fixtures then the palette will remain until a cue/chase step is fired containing the relevant attribute(s).
Obviously any memory recorded by fixture will inevitably contain the attributes but it still has to be fired to takeover, and then only if the palettes weren't placed in the programmer by selecting fixtures first.

My way of running such shows is to keep only intensity and (positional) shape information on the playbacks - ie. a dimmer master playback for each type of fixture and perhaps a dimmer chase. These must be recorded by channel.
Then I will get all other values (ie. position/colour/gobo) from palettes.

I will enable 'palette paging' in user settings so that I can easily store and access palettes 1-120 across the four fixture pages.
I will enable 'quick palettes' in user settings so that I can recall any of these palettes with one button press (ie. without selecting fixtures).
I will record only a single attribute (so attribute button can be left on 'dimmer' mask while running) and single fixture type (for quick palettes) per palette - ie. Spot colours 1-10, Wash colours 11-20, Positions 21-30. Gobos 31-60 (fixture page 1).

This gives the most flexibility and storing only intensity on the playbacks makes certain the palettes don't clash.
But it does use a large number of palettes, often requires changing fixture page and might take too long. For your example you could do something similar but simplify by combining some of the information on the palettes - ie. one contains all colour/gobo/position for band, another for the drum solo.

HTH
Ari-

Postby Ari- » 13 Dec 2008, 11:24

Thanks a lot Nic!!

I knew I was doing something wrong!! :?

I will try these you said on a simulator as soon as I can.
Ari-

Run Modes

Postby Ari- » 21 Jan 2009, 21:08

Hello!

I've mainly recalling playbacks in Run Mode by raising the faders and want to know if it is possibly to use the swop/add buttons to recall the playback memory/chase by just clicking it once, instead of holding swop (or add) as a flashing button.

In the Simulator I got it by right-clicking the swop and then left-clicking on it, but in the actual 2008 we've tried both run and takeover modes and don´t acheived any results.

Another point I want to know is if is anyway to loop only through selected steps of a chase. For example lets say I programmed a chase of five steps:

step1 - step2 - step3 - step4 - step5

And want to run the chase normally until it reaches step3, so then loop through steps 3 and 4 until cueing (using GO button, for instance) the step5.

The way I would do this: a chase containing steps 2 and 3 (stop on last =yes), a cycle chase containing steps 3 and 4 and a memory containing the step5. Is there a way to use this as a 5-step chase?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 21 Jan 2009, 21:41

Unfortunately neither of those are possible, sorry.
Ari-

Postby Ari- » 09 Feb 2009, 01:59

I use to run unlinked chases (link=off) and want to know if it is possible to go back to the previous step instead of always get the next step (each time GO Button is pressed). Usually I use unfold and copy the steps I want to cycle within and so getting a long unlinked chase, but anything like a BACK Button and a GO Button would make it much more easier I think.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 09 Feb 2009, 02:46

From the manual:

7.2.4 Manually controlling the chase steps

You can take manual control over the connected chase by pressing the Stop button. If the chase is set to “Links Off”, it will do this automatically - see the next section for details on Links.
• Press the Go button to restart playback of the chase
• The Snap Back button changes the chase direction the first time you press it; a second press will jump back a step (times and fades are ignored)
• To set the “next” step to be a particular step number, type the step number on the numeric keypad then press Connect.
• Turn either wheel to manually control the fades for this step. You can fade up or down until the fade completes; once a fade has completed it stays at 100%. Once the Fade In, Fade Out and LTP fades are all completed the chase will move on to the next step. The display above the wheel shows the fade up and fade down of the previous step as a percentage. This function can be disabled using the chase parameters menu.
• The <- and -> buttons (next to the Go button) change the direction of the chase. If the chase is stopped, these buttons jump backwards and forwards a step.