Backup console problem

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Mars3110

Backup console problem

Postby Mars3110 » 19 Apr 2017, 20:55

Hi everyone,

I have two Surface Pro 3, one connected to a Titan Mobile (running Windows 10) and one to a Titan One (running Windows 8.1). Both running Titan V10.
I want to use the Titan One as a backup of the Titan Mobile. So I connected both computers to my dedicated lighting wifi/ethernet router (Netgear WNR2000v5) through ethernet.
Each computer sees each other but when I open the Titan Server Session Settings windows on Titan it shows me a big red rectangle, telling me there is a problem. But I don't know what…

Of course I tried to reboot both computers and the router. I tried to use a different router (my usual router, an Apple Time Capsule). I also tried with another computer running Windows 8.1, to have both computers running the same os version. Still the same problem.
Only one time the computer running Windows 8.1 and connected to the Titan One saw the other computer well. But there was still a problem with the other computer.

Does anyone has a solution to my weird problem ?

Thanks a lot.
Gregory

Re: Backup console problem

Postby Gregory » 19 Apr 2017, 22:53

This suggests that a firewall is blocking some communication between the computers. First check Titan HealthCheck on both computers and ensure that the Echo Request Firewall Rule item is ticked (internally this sets the firewall rule File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request - ICMPv4-In) to allow). Titan HealthCheck should run in the background each time you start the software and only appear if there is a problem, you can run it manually from the installation directory under Program Files. In addition please ensure that the process Titan.exe is allowed through the firewall for both Inbound and Outbound connections and for the network profile you are using e.g. Public or Private. You should normally be asked by the firewall the first time the Titan software runs but if the prompt is dismissed you are normally not asked again. It is also possible for routers to block traffic between clients on the same network however this is unlikely especially as you have tried two different routers.
Mars3110

Postby Mars3110 » 20 Apr 2017, 11:57

Thanks for the reply.
Titan HealthCheck says all is good on both computers and the process Titan.exe is allowed through the firewall of both computers.
But I found a way (not the best) where it works ! If I completely disable the firewall on the computer running Windows 8.1 (connected to the Titan One), it works ! So it seems to be a problem in Windows 8.1 with the firewall… :?
I also tried to uninstall and reinstall Titan on this computer but still the same. The only option is to completely disable the firewall on this computer, but it's not very secure, even if it's a local network.
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 20 Apr 2017, 12:52

If you want to investigate further you can check what network profile the Windows 8.1 machine is treating your connection as, this is shown in Network and Sharing Centre underneath the bold text which is the network name. For example this may show:
Unidentified network
Public network

This would mean that firewall rules with the Profile set to Public (or All in Advanced settings) apply to that connection.

Reinstalling Titan will not reset the firewall as this is not part of the Titan software, instead delete the Titan entries from the firewall list and restart the application and you should get prompted again (in Advanced settings you can select and remove multiple entries at once). You can also manually add a rule allowing Titan for all network profiles.
Mars3110

Postby Mars3110 » 20 Apr 2017, 19:59

So, after a lot of attempts by modifying settings and rules in the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security window without success I tried to export the Policy from the Surface running Windows 10 (which was working well) and import it on the Surface running Windows 8.1 (which was faulty) and with this it works.
So indeed there was a problem with the rules from the firewall, but I don't know which one (those for the Titan software (Titan.exe and Mobile.exe) were fine).
If someone has the same problem just ask and I'll send you a copy of the Firewall Policy.

Gregory, thank you for your help !