[Improvement] workspace window tile overlays

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

TWC

[Improvement] workspace window tile overlays

Postby TWC » 03 Aug 2020, 20:43

I'm going to come right and say that this window view overlay thing is really good, whomsoever thought of it we doth our caps to you, it's really slick and I also really like the fact that on a multi display setup like mine the workspace pops up on the screen you chose it from.

but I would like to add a few suggestions to make the usability better

1. Keyboard shortcuts, for those of us that are using a keyboard and mouse instead of a touchscreen it would be nice if you could tap a key to open the window, like for example c for colours, g for groups, f for fixtures and so on.

2. it would be nice if any existing workspaces or views which are already open the tiles can be greyed out to make it easier to find what you want at a quick glance, perhaps this action could be user selective so you could for example hold down the avo key and press the open window key to only show the 'available' views.

3. the option of alphabetical sorting of the tiles instead of by type.

best regards. Tom
Avo Machine - v14
Titan Mobile + Fader Wing
Dell Optiplex 7010usff
i7, ssd, 8GB, Intel Hd4000

Capture Machine
2020 Symphony - 2020.0.53
AMD A7, ssd, 32GB, nVidia RTX3060 Eagle

Ai Media Server - 12.1
r6 + 2x Datapath DVI capture cards + Genlock module.
PBudd

Re: Improvement: workspace window tile overlays

Postby PBudd » 04 Aug 2020, 10:46

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

1. The shortcuts you mention do already exist though from the view menu rather than the open workspace menu. View+Fixture opens the fixture window for example. You should see the relevant LEDs Flash when you go into the view menu.
2. I have entered this as a suggestion in our system. Do you really consider it a problem that you just open that window again? If you have multiple monitors it does at least pull the window to the screen you are working on.
3. Are you suggesting here that all the windows should be in a single large list? Would that not make windows as difficult to find? We have spoken about adding a search that highlights the handle of the window you typed the name of. Perhaps this would achieve what you want?

Thanks

Peter Budd
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 04 Aug 2020, 11:45

Just to add re. keyboard shortcuts the function keys provide shortcuts to the window controls and open some of the most common windows. When in the Open Workspace Window menu typing will filter the softkey results, so I don't think you could have keyboard shortcuts as well as this. Greying out window shortcuts in the overlay to match the softkeys would make sense though.
TWC

Postby TWC » 04 Aug 2020, 13:13

The other thing I've just noticed now that im hitting v14 hard with some conplex cuelist programminh is that playback view doesnt have a tile in the overlay thing.
Avo Machine - v14
Titan Mobile + Fader Wing
Dell Optiplex 7010usff
i7, ssd, 8GB, Intel Hd4000

Capture Machine
2020 Symphony - 2020.0.53
AMD A7, ssd, 32GB, nVidia RTX3060 Eagle

Ai Media Server - 12.1
r6 + 2x Datapath DVI capture cards + Genlock module.
phb

Postby phb » 24 Aug 2020, 15:39

Playback view isn't listed because generally it has to be opened *for* a specific playback, which requires it to be opened via that playback, rather than just being freestanding; when playback view was opened via the overlay it would have no playback selection context and so the window would be empty.

We do want to implement a visual search functionality on the overlay but there wasn't time in this release, unfortunately. I'll add your name to the list of people asking for it.
Pete Bridgman :: Avolites