Change installation directory

Welcome to the Avolites TitanOne Support Forum

Moderator: Moderators

lopesmacp

Change installation directory

Postby lopesmacp » 11 Sep 2018, 22:24

Is there a way to change the installation directory of PC Suite?

I installed it on my PC but it went straight to the drive C (where is my SSD with SO). I Would like to have it installed on my S: drive (where is my HDD for all my storage).

Besides, the installation on the C drive set all my shows to be saved in a onedrive folder, wich i need to switch, since my onedrive doesnt have the storage to accommodate all the shows
icke_siegen

Re: Change installation directory

Postby icke_siegen » 12 Sep 2018, 08:06

I assume you won't get any 'official' answer except 'any tempering with the installed data is at your own risk'. Also, please bear in mind that this may break update paths or even the functionality to update personalities, edit personalities etc.

However, here are some hints I did find useful (I did some research for my various software projects like TitanSwitch or the Macro collection):
- there are some registry keys to point the software to the correct folders - have a look at HKCU\Software\Titan
- personally I prefer (symbolic) links to deviate folders as I try to avoid fiddling with the registry - i use links to change the showfile or macro path a few times
- as for the program folder, you'll find the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Avolites\Desk. You might even try to simply move the folder elsewhere and try to fix the faults - but again this is at your own risk and greatly discouraged. In particular there are some services required for Titan to run, which will be broken when the folder is moved.

In total: moving the show, macro and personalities folders is possible and not a big thing. However, moving the program folder is a no-lgoer - I mean %program files% live in C, why not leave it like this?
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 12 Sep 2018, 13:25

In regards to your documents being saved to OneDrive, normally if you go to the settings of OneDrive you should be able to exclude a folder from being synchronised. Alternatively there should not be a problem changed the registry values, MacroLibraryPath, ShowData and UserPersonalityDirectory, under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Avolites\Titan to point to a different location as this already what happens on the consoles so that they end up on the D:\ drive, remember to move the contents of those folders across at the same time.

If you have to move the installation directory and your C:\ drive is formatted NTFS, I would suggest moving the whole Avolites folder and creating a junction from the original location to the new location e.g.

Code: Select all

mklink /j "C:\Program Files (x86)\Avolites" "S:\Program Files\Avolites"
This should transparently map everything under the Avolites folder to another location so that the applications will not know the difference. I have tended to use junctions rather than symbolic links although they are fairly similar, junctions are used by default in Windows to provide directories for compatibility with older applications such as C:\Documents and Settings.
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 12 Sep 2018, 15:42

Wow, Gregory - that's awesome!