Indexing Fixtures

Welcome to the Avolites TitanOne Support Forum

Moderator: Moderators

guiri

Indexing Fixtures

Postby guiri » 16 Aug 2018, 22:12

Hi, I got a big problem with my Titan One. Running Titan 9.1. Whenever I access the Patch windos, Titan start Indexing for about 10 Minutes the Fixtures. The system is totaly blocked at this moment. Clean Win 10 with no other apps. It does not matter if I start a new show or load an existing show....it always is indexing.
niclights
The eManual

Re: Indexing Fixtures

Postby niclights » 16 Aug 2018, 23:05

If possible I would recommend updating to the latest version (11.0 at the time of writing). This should fix the problem.
guiri

Postby guiri » 17 Aug 2018, 12:02

Oh no...what a big bug! Cannot upgrade to 11. Needet it as a backup for a clients show. What a waste of money and time`, this makes me really upset. Gues Avolite lost a client, if there is no workaround.
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 17 Aug 2018, 15:43

If you are so determined to use an older version maybe you always use the same few fixture types. In that case why not reduce your fixture library to the types you are using? It's in the folder C:\program files (x86\Avolites\Titan\FixtureLibrary. E.g. rename this folder to 'FixtureLibrary Original', create a new folder 'FixtureLibrary', and copy those few personalities over which you might need. Don't forget the three xml files (Curve.xml, Shape.xml and CitpFixtureMapping.xml). With such a setup, indexing fixture library will take just seconds.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 17 Aug 2018, 16:55

I think the reason for needing to stay with the old version is for showfile compatibility with a console which cannot be upgraded either due to hardware limitations or other reasons. So I can understand this and the frustration.

While perhaps not ideal Sebastian's suggestion should almost certainly solve the immediate problem at least.

The problem itelf is an odd one. My understanding is that it is somehow related to indexing personalities that contain v11+ specific information (product thumbnails/ gobo swatches) in pre v11 software but when I test this I do not get such extreme delays. In my original tests on a Quartz running Titan v10.1 I found an average of approx. 30s delay between selecting the [Dimmer] or [Fixture] softkey in the patch menu before the 'Select Fixture Manufacturer' menu appeared.

I have just run the tests again using TitanOne v9.1 on a PC system running Windows 7 64bit pro with an SSD and also on an original Tiger Touch with a spinning HDD. In both cases the latest library was installed in case the problem had got worse since I last tested. On PC I tried running the test a number of times and the average was a 20s delay. On the old TT it was closer to 2min. So, on my PC system, while not ideal I felt the 20s delay was probably acceptable although the 2min on the TT may as well have been a year.

Given the differences I can only conclude that the amount of time taken to index in older software is related to the environment. My instincts are that it is most likely to be the HDD with the PC running an SSD compared to the TT on a spinning drive. But it could also be influenced by the processor speed and possibly the operating system.

Simon or Greg might have some better ideas but in the meantime what are the specs of your machine? Does it have an SSD?
guiri

Postby guiri » 20 Aug 2018, 17:30

Hey folks, thanx a lot for the answers. Good idea to reduce the fixture libabry to what I need. In fact, it is a backup for an old companys Tigertouch desk running shows with Titan 9.1. Got an SSD drive, but whole system with minimum specs. Maybee I have to setup the whole system again,...now, whenever I start Avolites, it tells me, that there was an error saving the show and that I have to load it again. I like to work a l ot withavolites, it is very fast to setup a show, but always I have a bad feeling running a show, not knowing if it will crash during the show or not, even the Tigertouch from the company I am working for, is a risk, frooze two times this year. Well,.....living in spain, with 40 degrees and more at night. And sorry for my "agressive second post"....was very frustrated when I wrote it.