Moving Head Auto-Patch Fail

Welcome to the Avolites TitanOne Support Forum

Moderator: Moderators

LightC123

Moving Head Auto-Patch Fail

Postby LightC123 » 07 Apr 2013, 22:01

Ok, I have patched two moving heads into the console however the problem is that nothing controls the right things.

Dimmer controls strobe
P/T speed controls dimmer
Pan and tilt work fine
Focus resets the moving head

and things like that...

I have had to put up with this but I can't seem to change the functions individually, the program doesn't allow it.
They have been patched and repatched to make sure I haven't made a mistake however, the problem still isn't fixed.

Thanks
niclights
The eManual

Re: Moving Head Auto-Patch Fail

Postby niclights » 07 Apr 2013, 23:34

This will be because the personality you have patched does not match the fixture you are trying to control.

First please ensure your personality library is up-to-date by downloading the latest version from here. After installing you can see if there are any changes to fixtures already patched by going to Patch/[Update Personality].

If it still isn't working please double-check you have the chosen the correct personality and that the mode is the same as that set on the fixture. If you are certain it is correct and it still does not work properly then you can edit the channel mapping in Personality Builder. You can do this from within the software via Patch/[Edit Personality]/[<fixture>].

Any faults with factory personalities should be reported in the Personality Library by navigating to the relevant fixture and clicking on the bug picture.
LightC123

Postby LightC123 » 08 Apr 2013, 00:27

Yes I have tried to download the latest patch however there is two things wrong.

There is only one patch for the Stairville MH 575 S Which is a 15DMX 16 Bit

Now the lights are in 8 bit, but when they were changed to 16 bit there was no control over them and they went crazy so they had to be changed back to 8 bit.

Plus could someone please explain the differences between 8 and 16 bit...?

And I have also tried to use the personality builder but I have no idea how to work it... As, say dimmer is on channel 25 and say strobe was on channel 29, I don't know what to set the DMX start and DMX end addresses to on each attribute.

Any Help?

Thanks

Also, why is there an end address at 255 when the dmx channels only take up 15 channels
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 08 Apr 2013, 00:55

As far as I can gather the MH 575 S personality is wrong (at a cursory glance I suspect it might actually be MKII). Try using MH 575, 14 DMX, 16bit and set the fixture to CHn1 OFF, 16bit ON.

16 bit is a way to gain more accurate control of attributes where fixtures and controllers support it. This is done by using two channels for a single attribute. A single channel is 8bit (256 values). Two channels gives 256x256=65536 values. The two channels are combined silently at the controller end and processed by the fixture at the other.

Regarding Personality Builder you were looking at the start and end values for the definition of a function within a particular attribute. For example, the a shutter channel might have open defined as 0-10, closed as 11-20 and random from 21-255. In this case 'Shutter' is the attribute and 'Open', 'Closed' and 'Random' are functions. Modes are made up of these attributes. To set the DMX channel offsets for the attributes you must first select the mode you want to edit on the left side and then click on the 'Channels' tab at the bottom right. You should then see all the attributes and the channels they are assigned to. Where there are 16bit channels you will see two channels assigned.
LightC123

Postby LightC123 » 08 Apr 2013, 01:21

Ok thanks, I will have a go at using the personality builder and changing the patch soon and will tell you if it worked :)