Led tape personality?

Welcome to the Avolites Personality Builder Forum.

Moderator: Moderators

naterosso

Led tape personality?

Postby naterosso » 17 Jan 2017, 12:18

I want to make a personality for a addressable grb led tape with 150 leds on it. Has anyone made one of these that i could just download? it seems like it would take me a whole day to create one, or does anyone know how do make a quick easy one? I haven't use the builder before and i just have basic knowledge of it, seems time consuming for 150 leds.

Oooooor if that is too hard, what is the longest rgb (or preferably grb) led wall washing light you know of? I will just use that personality.

Thanks for any help!

~ Nate
niclights
The eManual

Re: Led tape personality?

Postby niclights » 17 Jan 2017, 13:38

There's nothing currently in the library that matches this but assuming you're using Titan it's very easy:

Personality Builder

- File/New
- Fill in the Display Name, Manufacturer and Name fields in the Fixture properties as appropriate
- Select 'Attributes' in the tree on the left-hand side
- In the Attributes templates that should automatically appear double-click on 'Green', then 'Red', then 'Blue', then 'Dimmer' to add the attributes (Dimmer will be used for a virtual control)
- Select the 'Dimmer' attribute in the tree and then double-click on '8bit Dimmer' in the functions templates that should automatically appear. This will add the dimmer function to the attribute (note the red, green and blue attribute templates already contain their functions so we don't need to worry about adding these manually)
- Select 'Modes'
- Double-click on one of the mode templates that should automatically appear (for example 'Mode 1'). This will add a mode. (It is not important which template you use - the only difference is the name and you can change this after anyway)
- Double-click another mode template so that we have two modes in the Modes section
- Select the first mode and change the name to 'Cell' (this is not important but is good practice)
- While this is selected change the 'Hidden' property to 'True' (again, not essential but a good idea)
- Marquee select all of the attributes in the 'Created Attributes' templates that should automatically appear and then drag-drop into the 'Cell' mode (this will add them in the order they were created, automatically setting the channel assignments)
- Select the 'Green' attribute in the mode that we have just added. Hold shift and select 'Blue'. This should highlight Green, Red and Blue. In the properties section click on the 'Virtual Attribute' field and select 'Dimmer' from the drop-down menu. This sets up dimmer as a virtual controller for the colour components
- Select the 'Dimmer' attribute (in the mode), change the resolution to 'None' and delete the value from Channel Offset.
- Select the second mode and give it a name (for example '450 DMX') (not essential)
- Select the 'Cells' tab at the bottom
- Set the count to 50 and press [Add Cell] three times (note that there is currently a count limit of 99 which is the reason for setting as 50 here)
- Select the Palettes section in the tree and then press the [Auto-palette] button to add preset palettes (optional)
- Save
Last edited by niclights on 27 Jun 2017, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: revised steps to ensure the dimmer attribute itself has a resolution and DMX range and is only set to no resolution in the mode
naterosso

Postby naterosso » 21 Jan 2017, 18:07

Awesome!! Thanks !
fireball40k

Postby fireball40k » 26 Jun 2017, 23:20

Hi, I'm attempting to create a new personality for an RGBW fixture that has 25 cells - the fixture has no in-built dimmer, so requires a virtual one. I have followed the instructions given in this thread, but when I load the result into a Quartz running 10.1, the dimmer has no effect. As soon as any colour levels are applied, all the cells respond regardless of the Intensity level. They even seem to be ignoring the grand master. Is there an email address to which I could send the personality for someone to diagnose? Thanks
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 26 Jun 2017, 23:53

In the mode used for the cells check that the red, green, blue and white attributes all have virtual attribute set to dimmer.
fireball40k

Postby fireball40k » 27 Jun 2017, 10:13

The Modes entry in the tree has two main entries, in line with your instructions. All four colours listed in the first one, 'Cell', all show their Virtual Attribute as 'Dimmer'. In the second Mode entry that you called DMX 450, there are subheadings of 'Cell Master' and 'Cells' (containing all 25 cells). The colours listed in all of these parts show the Virtual Attribute as (none). Is this correct?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 27 Jun 2017, 10:41

Sounds right. If you send it to me I will take a look - nick <dot> morris <at> avolites <dot> com.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 27 Jun 2017, 14:07

By way of a follow-up for anyone reading, the problem turned out to be that the dimmer needs to have a resoution and DMX range for this to work (for example resolution 8-bit and DMX range start 0, end 255). I will now update the steps above to correct this but previously I had incorrectly stated that the attribute itself could be set to no resolution (note that It should only still be set to no resolution in the modes). My apologies for any confusion.
Rob1151

Postby Rob1151 » 20 Feb 2021, 10:12

I followed the steps above and the personality works fine with my RGBW LED strip. The only thing is that when I turn red on, the green lights up. When I turn the green on, the red lights up. Blue and white works fine, also with the virtual dimmer. The Channels in personality buider says “red channel 1, Green channel 2, Blue 3 and white 4. So that should be allright.. (sorry for my Dutch version of English)
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 20 Feb 2021, 10:18

From the symptoms it sounds like your LED strip has green on channel offset 1 and red on channel offset 2 in which case you would need to adjust the personality to match.