LED Color Wheel

Welcome to the Avolites Personality Builder Forum.

Moderator: Moderators

LED Color Wheel

Postby 2113 » 08 Nov 2016, 23:37

So I have some basic generic 12x12w LED Wash fixtures that I'm having an issue with. I'm using a 2008 Pearl Tiger so I'm working with the R20 files and the personality builder app.

The fixture has a simulated color wheel with a bunch of preset colors. This isn't anything new, I actually have a different fixture that has the same thing.

Basically once I Locate to turn on the light and then change to a color from the Color Wheel, after that point pressing Clear doesn't make the light go off. So I'm not using any dimmer settings or anything. Just Locate then Color Wheel Change and then pressing Clear.
If I just press Locate and then Clear the fixture responds normally, however once I add the Color Wheel attribute into the mix then Clear no long works.

When I use the Color Wheel to create a palette, I'm making sure that the R,G,B and W attributes are blocked out at 0% so there is nothing extra being saved. But the Color Wheel attribute still doesn't Clear.

When I use manual RGBW color mixing to create Palettes, everything works find and I don't have this issue.

I feel like there is something in the fixture profile that isn't working correctly to clear the color wheel data, but I can't find anything that is different from other fixtures with the same functionality.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening? I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks
niclights
The eManual

Re: LED Color Wheel

Postby niclights » 09 Nov 2016, 00:23

Pressing clear will deselect all fixtures and remove any fixtures and attributes currently in the programmer. Where attributes are LTP (latest takes precedence) pressing clear will not change the attribute value. Where attributes are HTP (highest takes precedence) pressing clear will cause these attributes to return to zero or the highest level from an active playback or preset fader (dimmer attribute only).

Where a fixture has a dimmer attribute normally this would be HTP with all the other attributes as LTP. If the fixture does not have a dimmer sometimes it can be useful to set other attributes to HTP (for example RGB) so that they will turn off when cleared and fade by fader.

It is possible that the colour macros in this particular fixture are independent from a fixture dimmer control where they just output at full regardless. In this case you could try changing the colour macro attribute to be HTP.

Postby 2113 » 09 Nov 2016, 00:58

Thanks for the reply.

Just to test I changed the Color wheel to HTP and left the rest of the attributes at LTP. It seems to be working properly now. I can create palettes using the color wheel attribute and then when I press Clear they go off.

My question is having this setting to HTP going to come back later and bite me in the A$$? I don't want to do something now that screws things up later.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 09 Nov 2016, 09:58

The main thing to keep in mind is HTP attributes will fade by fader, so if you record a colour macro value to a playback, raising or lowering the playback will proportionally adjust the level of the colour macro channel between zero and the level recorded.
Also, it's a very long time since I have used the Classic consoles now but I seem to remember that HTP palettes don't work so well, so you may have issues if you wanted to have colour macro palettes.

If it were me I would probably just avoid using the colour macro channel and rely on colour mixing!

Postby 2113 » 09 Nov 2016, 22:39

Thanks again for the reply.

I don't think I want to risk going with an HTP color attribute. I"m just going to use the normal RGBW color mixing and forget about the color wheel. Seems like it will be more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks!