Combined dimmer and strobe

Welcome to the Avolites Personality Builder Forum.

Moderator: Moderators

PhilDunford

Combined dimmer and strobe

Postby PhilDunford » 02 Oct 2014, 10:49

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

I have some generic LED PAR cans that have channel one as:

0-152 dimmer 153-242 strobe 243-255 RGB on.

chan 2-4 RGB.

Is there a generic personality that would work with this? The ones I can find assume the dimmer channel is 0-255 contiguous. I don't need the strobe function, just a proper response to dimming.

Any assistance appreciated.
niclights
The eManual

Re: Combined dimmer and strobe

Postby niclights » 02 Oct 2014, 14:34

There won't be a generic fixture to cover this as it is too specific. There might be something else that matches in the library but finding it will be very difficult.

You could make a request using the form here. However, given it will probably only be useful to you and how simple it is you could create it yourself:

- Open Personality Builder
- Start a new file
- Give it a manufacturer and model name
- Select the attributes section on the left and double-click on dimmer, red, green and then blue from the factory attribute presets that appear top-right. - This will add the four attributes. Red, green and blue are already done for you as part of the preset. For dimmer you will need to add a function
- Select the dimmer attribute that has been added on the left. This will then show factory preset functions for intensity at the top-right
- Double-click on 8-bit dimmer
- Now select the DMX ranges tab at the bottom
- This will show a chart of the functions for the selected dimmer attribute in the top-right
- By default the 8-bit dimmer function you added will have DMX range 0-255, wheel display 'Percentage 1dp' and display range 0-100
- So you just need to change the upper limit of dimmer from 255 to 152
- Now select the modes section on the left and double-click on 'Mode 1' (or anything you like) in the factory mode options that appear top-right
- This will add a mode called 'Mode 1' to the modes on the left
- Select this mode and then drag a marquee box around all the created attributes that now appear top-right. This will select them all
- Drag and drop this selection onto Mode 1 to add them all to the mode
- Since you created them in the correct order the DMX channel mapping will already be correct
- Similarly, locate and wheel mapping will all be correct by default
- Now save the file. On a PC this should be in My Documents\Titan\Personalities. On Titan consoles this should be D:\Personalities
- Once saved, restart the software if you are on a console or close and relaunch on a PC if Titan is already open. This will allow the software to index the new file
- When patching the fixture will name will appear with '(User)' appended.

See how you get on!
PhilDunford

Postby PhilDunford » 02 Oct 2014, 15:06

Thanks so much - that looks excellent!

I'll give it a go as soon as I'm back at the rig & let you know how I get on.

Phil
PhilDunford

Postby PhilDunford » 28 Nov 2014, 13:26

Rather longer getting back than I intended!

This works a treat and has also enabled me to build personalities for a few other weird fixtures.

Many thanks.