Strobe in two channels

Welcome to the Avolites Personality Builder Forum.

Moderator: Moderators

diegomedina

Strobe in two channels

Postby diegomedina » 20 Aug 2014, 06:23

I want to create a personality for this fixture:

The "strobe fx" is handled by channel 5 (value 15-29) but the speed is handled by Channel 8.

I want that when I select the "shutter" attribute in the Pearl, the console use channel 8 to adjust the speed and automatically set the value "20" on Channel 5. Moreover, when I adjust the "shutter" attribute to 0%, channel 5 is set to 0. (Or something similar)

How do I create this fixture in the Personality Builder?

Thanks!
niclights
The eManual

Re: Strobe in two channels

Postby niclights » 20 Aug 2014, 14:05

Unfortunately I can't see any way you could do this.

Conditions can only work on functions but not values within individual functions.

All I can suggest is creating an extra ('text only') function in the speed attribute called 'Open' or similar. Presumably the value of channel 8 is irrelevant if channel 5 is between 0-14 so you can set the DMX range to anything for this but the obvious option would be range 0-0.
Then add a condition to channel 5. Move the 0-14 'no function' into this condition and leave all the others in 'else'. Set this condition so that it is true if channel 8 is the open function.

This will mean that if you select 'Open' on channel 8, channel 5 will output DMX 7 (middle of 0-14) and channel 8 will output DMX 0. If you select the speed attribute it will change the options in channel 5 to all the functions in the 'else' condition.
By default when changing conditions it will jump to the first function in the new condition, ie. 15-29 'single colour strobe' which is probably what you want. However, you can force this to occur using the function index value. When changing between conditions it will jump to a function with matching function index if it exists. You will see this used in factory personalities, typically for fixed gobos and shake gobos. So to ensure it always selects 'single colour strobe' when changing condition you could set the function index of 'no function' and 'single colour strobe' to 1, leaving all the others as -1.

You should end up with the following:

(channel 8 ):
Attribute ID = 'Speed'
Function 1 = DMX=0-0, 'Open', 'Text Only', display range=0-100, function index= -1
Function 2 = DMX=0-255, 'Speed', 'Percentage 1dp', display range=0-100, function index= -1

(channel 5):
'Condition 1': Speed = 1 (note that the name 'Speed' here refers to the Attribute ID defined in channel 8 above. This can be anything but they must match for the condition to work. It will prompt you if it doesn't exist)
Function 1 = DMX=0-14, 'No function', 'Text Only', display range=0-100, function index= 1
'Else':
Function 2 = DMX=15-29, 'Single Colour Strobe', 'Text Only', display range=0-100, function index= 1
Function 3 = DMX=30-44, 'Multicolor Strobe', 'Text Only', display range=0-100, function index = -1
etc.

Note that if it is important that 'no function' and 'single colour strobe' output 0 and 20 DMX respectively then simply change the ranges so they are 0-0 and 20-20.

I hope that helps. This all assumes you are using Titan. If not, ignore everything above as Classic does not have the ability to use conditions.