Locate values

Welcome to the Avolites Personality Builder Forum.

Moderator: Moderators

eugenumail

Locate values

Postby eugenumail » 05 Apr 2013, 15:16

Hello.I am trying to modify the locate position of a fixture in the .R20 file ,but any parameter i modify, the locate function locks the fixture in an awkward position and it does not respond anymore, until reset. The fixture is the GLYP575P.R20 and the desk i use is the Sapphire 2000. Can you help me please. Thanks.
icke_siegen

Re: Locate values

Postby icke_siegen » 05 Apr 2013, 15:44

Where do you want to locate it to, i.e. what would be your favourite locate position?

The values in question are

Code: Select all

DMX
3    61   s    1   100   1N   E   1   "Pan"             128     0     0
0     0   L    2   100   1N   E   1   "Pan Low"         128     0     0
3     1   s    3   100   1N   F   1   "Tilt"            128     0     0
0     0   L    4   100   1N   F   1   "Tilt Low"        128     0     0

If you change the values in the column behind the attribute name, you should be able to set another locate position.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 05 Apr 2013, 18:11

Note that difficulty controlling the fixture after locate is typical of wrong values in control or timing channels.
eugenumail

Postby eugenumail » 06 Apr 2013, 12:20

I change the "pan" attribute value to 87 instead of 128.When i locate,the fixture moves to a pan position and locks there. the shutter does not open, pan/tilt does not respond. but the color and the gobo wheels seem to respond. this remains unchanged until i reset the console.
Thank you for the replies.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 06 Apr 2013, 14:16

If you are able to control position normally if you don't locate then after locate try changing the values for the speed and/or control channels.
eugenumail

Postby eugenumail » 17 Apr 2013, 10:18

Hello

Just solved the problem. This fixture strikes the lamp when the shutter is full open. Now the shutter locates at 0 and it`s shut.
No problem there.
But now the console still thinks that the pan attribute is at 50% which is not,so all the circle shapes are now distorted.
Is there a way to tell the console that when i locate, the pan attribute is at 33%?
Thanks
eugenumail

Postby eugenumail » 17 Apr 2013, 10:45

Ok, i`ve just made a mistake. I patched the default personality file and the circle still is distorted. at the default speed the shape looks like a diagonal line. Just don`t bother with that i`ll just use something else.
Thanks
eugenumail

Postby eugenumail » 17 Apr 2013, 10:56

Just not to open another topic, can you tell me if it`s possible to include a custom shape file in the console`s memory using cache builder. Every time i enter patch mode, the console is loading the default shape file.So i have to insert my sg.dat disk and load it once more.
Thank you(for reading all this :) .
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 17 Apr 2013, 16:03

The locate values have nothing to do with shapes. They are just values that channels go to if you choose to locate them, which would normally be in order to quickly find them on stage or set channel values back to a familiar starting point. In fact the only thing in the personality which affects shapes is the attribute type.

If a shape is not working correctly then it must be a fault with the shapefile or perhaps simply a result of the fixture orientation and origin. For example a circle shape on fixture hung in typical fashion from the bottom rail of a truss, pointing to stage with pan/tilt origin at 50%/50% respectively (pointing straight down) will actually generate a 'figure of eight' movement. There is certainly nothing wrong with the factory shapes.

Given you have mentioned using a custom shape file I suggest checking for errors here and/or your fixture orientation and pan/tilt origin.

I do not know of any way to include a shapefile in the cache.
eugenumail

Postby eugenumail » 17 Apr 2013, 17:21

The factory shapes are perfect. Something weird is happening with this type of fixture because other fixtures seem to understand a circle(SIN), a square(TRAPS), but not this one. The pan saw starts normal size but after a cycle becomes a bit smaller???!! A Circle shape begins to look like an ellipse only after i lower the speed of the shape(not the size). Strange stuff. And i am using standard shapes. Am i doing something wrong. i`m no expert but i`ve played with these things a bit.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 17 Apr 2013, 17:34

Shapes are not fixture specific. They simply modify values above and below an origin according to the pattern (proportional to the size setting) and cycle it. Things like circle are achieved by applying the same modifier (ie. Sine) to both the pan and tilt channels where one is out of phase with the other. If they are in-phase it will look like a diaganol line.
The only reason I can think of for something looking wrong (other than orientation/origin values) is where the pan and/or tilt cannot move quickly enough to get to the values being asked. Certainly even the fastest moving head will look like it's lost its mind if the size and speed are high enough. Some heads are just very slow.
eugenumail

Postby eugenumail » 18 Apr 2013, 11:02

Thank you for your answer. i will use what i have. i was just curious about this weird fixture behavior. Seems that the pan speed is different than the tilt speed in a circle for this fixture. i think i will tinker a bit with the circle shape until i create something that works on the YPOC 575 pro. thanks again.
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 18 Apr 2013, 11:42

Ah, an YPOC - I somewhat had that feeling. Usually, they locate to a speed range which GLP calls 'Tracking'. Please try to set P/T speed to 100% manually, and then run the shape. If that cures the problem, than you have to adjust the locate value for the speed channel.

This is already done for the d4 personalities, but not yet for the r20.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 18 Apr 2013, 14:09

This is definitely something that can only be solved at a fixture level, or simply allowed for. It will not be possible to compensate for a fixtures maximum speed by changing a shape or pattern.

Essentially all you could do is change the size of the pan or tilt to resolve an ellipse back into a circle, but the end result will be no different to slowing down the whole effect until the circle is produced. Any shape engineered to create a circle at higher speeds would only work at one specific size/speed and would end up producing an ellipse at higher or lower speeds, including those where the standard shape would have produced a circle.
eugenumail

Postby eugenumail » 19 Apr 2013, 12:41

YES, that was the cure. Nothing paranormal. i should have said from the beginning the fixture`s name. thanks a lot.