VL 3000 Personality

Welcome to the Avolites Personality Builder Forum.

Moderator: Moderators

CSmithDesign

VL 3000 Personality

Postby CSmithDesign » 05 Oct 2012, 18:38

Has anyone had a problem with this personality?

The last time I used it, I had some funny things happening when I used the dimmer: fading from 0 to about 20% the shutter seemed to open while the dimmer was opening at the same time. Then, from 20% to 100% it was normal. It wasn't a disaster or anything, but it was hard to get any good fade outs or ins...

There was a Hog on the same show and I tried dimming the fixtures with the Hog and it was completely normal, so this seems to be an issue with the VL 3000 personality with Titan.

Is this a known issue or anything?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 05 Oct 2012, 18:57

I don't know of anything. I did make some changes to this in 2011 although I'm not convinced they are relevant. There is nothing clever going on with the two channels - they are both 8bit and only operate directly on their relevant attributes. I would imagine the problems were either related to a timing channel value or a programming error. Note that many of the VL fixtures do internally automatically adjust the shutter at the very low end of dimmer values but IIRC this is more like 0-2%.
CSmithDesign

Postby CSmithDesign » 05 Oct 2012, 20:10

I don't think that it's a fixture thing or a programming error (I re-programmed the cue several times, all it was was an intensity cue, VL 3000s at full intensity).

I'm also not sure that it was the shutter moving, that's just my best guess. Something was mechanically moving out of the way of the beam as I was fading up from 0 to 20%, it was loud enough to hear it happen. It could have been a gobo wheel clicking out of the way or even the iris, I'm not sure, but you could see something in the beam moving out of the way as it was fading up.

I'll be using these tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get this issue figured out by then. If not, I guess we'll see if it happens again on different fixtures...
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 05 Oct 2012, 20:40

It's very difficult to see how this can happen because of a personality file. I can think of three ways adjusting one attribute could affect another:

1) 16 bit attribute MSB or LSB is mapped to the wrong channel offset.
2) One attribute is set to be virtually mastered by another.
3) A sub cell attribute is attribute linked to a master attribute.
CSmithDesign

Postby CSmithDesign » 05 Oct 2012, 20:48

I will look into this when I can later, we'll see what happens tomorrow...
CSmithDesign

Postby CSmithDesign » 07 Oct 2012, 00:10

Got some time on a rig with a bunch of VL 3000s today and the profile seems fine, no weirdness happening.

This tells me that it was the system of the venue where I was at when I had these problems, which makes sense because there were other weird things happening there that weren't quite explainable other than the fact that there's a problem with the venue.

Thanks anyways!