16 Bit Dimmer Issue on GLP

Welcome to the Avolites Personality Builder Forum.

Moderator: Moderators

wh3r3sJC

16 Bit Dimmer Issue on GLP

Postby wh3r3sJC » 09 Apr 2012, 19:36

Pearl 08 running 1.1

I am loading fixtures from pen drive, not internal, multiple times with same result.

Patch GLP Spot One 31 ch. Dimmer will not go below 0.38

Patch personally built GLP Spot1 31 ch. with same problem

Patch GLP S1 20 ch. (8 bit Dimmer) with same problem

Patch GLP VolksLicht Zoom (8bit Dimmer) with same problem

Patch HES Studio Color and Dimmer at 0%.

Why will my Dimmer not go to 0 on my GLP fixtures?

They are RGB LED fixtures so I can program around it but I think it should work. I have already built a personality that patches the 'Dimmer fine' channel in generically and puts it on Dimmer Wheel 1 Page 2, essentially disabling it's functionality in the programming while enabling me to still set a true [65535] value at the light.
--------
JC Campbell
-Midnight Lighting
-synaesthesiax Lighting
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 09 Apr 2012, 19:47

As I'm sure you have realised the Classic software has problems with 16bit dimmers. The best solution IMO is to separate them or use a non-16bit dimmer mode as you have tried.

This should work. I suspect the reason it is apparently not might be something to do with the software not handling multiple modes and/or confusion with previously patched versions. If you haven't already, try patching the 8-bit dimmer or custom version after a wipeall.
wh3r3sJC

Unfortunate

Postby wh3r3sJC » 09 Apr 2012, 20:13

I know what you mean about the residual memory. I'll try patching the other GLP personalities after a wipe.

It seems to handle the 16 bit RGB just fine.

I'm not sure what I did, I tried setting the Clear value to 0% with a normal 16 bit dimmer and it will go down to 0 on the Dimmer Output and 002 on the Dimmer Low keeping the light from ghosting on as it did before.

You want I should send the file?
--------

JC Campbell

-Midnight Lighting

-synaesthesiax Lighting
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 09 Apr 2012, 20:33

There should be no need to send a file. I think it will work after a wipe.

It is only the dimmers that are affected. All other attributes work ok in 16bit.
The clear value only applies to .d4 files (Titan) and therefore will not work.

Keeping the MSB (coarse) assigned to the standard dimmer wheel, 8-bit HTP with type set to dimmer and the LSB (fine) assigned to a separate wheel 8-bit HTP, type set to unknown should work fine.
This way the 'normal' dimmer and preset handle will give 0-65279. The separate dimmer control can be used to get all the way to 65535. If you program a cue with both at full then they will fade proportionally in tandem. This should work giving a range from full to zero but will of course still be 8-bit.
wh3r3sJC

Postby wh3r3sJC » 09 Apr 2012, 22:13

Thanks for the help.

I have the 16 bit dimmer working now.

0 on the fader gives 00002 output which is low enough to douse the light.

Shape generator works as well.
--------

JC Campbell

-Midnight Lighting

-synaesthesiax Lighting