mac 2000 profile personality

Welcome to the Avolites Personality Builder Forum.

Moderator: Moderators

inri martyr

mac 2000 profile personality

Postby inri martyr » 20 Jan 2011, 02:30

so ive discovered that the current mac 2000 profile personality is very buggy (i.e. gobo wheel 2 attributes are just not right). I am working on a D4 vision/elite version 2.4 with the latest updated personality (2009) i have edited it and fixed all the bugs except for one that i jsut cant seem to figure out with the personality builder.... going back to the personality from 2008 i still find the same problem with spinning a gobo while gobo scroll is going! this can be accomplished by using raw dmx but that is not to my liking....anywho wat i need to kno is this....how do you assign gobo scroll on both gobo wheel 1 and 2 to set to gobo spin on wheel three of the D4?? take a look at the personality for this VERY popular moving light (still cant believe im the first one to figure this out) the personality from 2008 is much more stable and is wat i referenced to fix the 2009 personality but this last step is just making my brain hurt!
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 20 Jan 2011, 10:23

Coincidentally I believe a fix for the gobo 2 rotate issue was uploaded yesterday. So you might want to try that.

In the meantime I will have a look at this for you and let you know what was changed and why. It would be very useful if you can explain the other problems.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 20 Jan 2011, 10:56

Ok. Scratch that. The fix appears to be being a bad boy.

I can also see that there are a lot of faults. What a mess! I will now dedicate myself to the cause.

There is one thing I would like to clear up. The channel mapping information I have only has one option for scroll on each of the gobo wheels. I am assuming this is gobo spin as opposed to index?
john rogers

Postby john rogers » 20 Jan 2011, 11:26

Have you got the fixture there with you Nic?
Used to work at Avo. Freelance now.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 20 Jan 2011, 11:39

Unfortunately not but I can see what is wrong. The only confusion is whether gobo scroll is an indexed or rotating type as there is only one option. I'm fairly sure it is rotating.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 20 Jan 2011, 15:32

I've hopefully fixed the file now. Just waiting for John to have a quick look when he has a moment.
inri martyr

Postby inri martyr » 20 Jan 2011, 15:35

i fixed all the scroll= spin index, spin index = fixed spin blah blah blah (the mess) by going under the "GOBO 2 ROT" attribute and moving the "index" icon into the index function and then renaming the second index function to "spin" function using the personality builder. then i had to go into the dmx values for GOBO 2 FUNC attribute and change the attribute udpate to all be:
"Gobo2, Gobo2Rot"

that fixes the mess....

the other problem i found is once the mess is cleaned up you can see that there is a difference between gobo wheel 1 scroll and gobo wheel 2 scroll but i cant find it in the personality to help me understand wat to fix... both wheels are wrong i just am not adept enough to fix this....but it is definitly possible to spin a gobo while gobo scroll is engaged using the raw dmx function on both wheels but to me thats not the right way to go about it....
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 20 Jan 2011, 15:56

No worries. I found all that and sorted it.

It was not correct that you used raw for spin on gobo scroll. That was due to one of the update errors. I was just checking that it performed a continuous spin function rather than index.
john rogers

Postby john rogers » 20 Jan 2011, 15:58

Nick's emailed me the updated file, I'll add that to the library and upload it as soon as possible.
Used to work at Avo. Freelance now.
inri martyr

Postby inri martyr » 20 Jan 2011, 17:57

thats cool you guys are on it...makes me feel a lil better that it was out there for a year and a half like it was without anyone noticeing .... as far as my question.....this is the personality builder thread and i am asking questions about the personality builder but no one is even acknowleding my original question....i am trying to understand the personality builder..... wat are you guys using to fix the personality?? anyway i would just like to understand the spin function and where the problem was so that i can further my experience with the product please!
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 20 Jan 2011, 21:17

You're quite right. I got sidetracked in fixing the file (and the performance model) which took longer than expected.

Update usually applies to conditions. These are of the type 'IF'/'ELSE'. For each condition you enter the Attribute ID(s) and Function ID(s) that apply. While it is allowed I would normally not enter a condition into ELSE since that rather defeats its purpose. 'Else' is typically useful for a raw function. There should not be any functions outside of the conditions.
The 'update' fields of associated attributes then automatically change to reflect this.

A simple example:

Let's pretend we have a fixture that has a gobo wheel with 2 gobos which can spin continuously or be indexed depending on the value of the gobo attribute.

This could be defined as:

Code: Select all

Gobo attribute (where Attribute ID = Gobo1)
   1) Gobo 1 Index function
   2) Gobo 2 Index function
   3) Gobo 1 Spin function
   4) Gobo 2 Spin function

There is a separate attribute that either defines the spin speed/direction or index. We want this control to automatically change from index to spin speed depending on the gobo selected. So we can create two conditions.

Code: Select all

Rotate attribute (where Attribute ID = Gobo1Rot)
   Condition 1
      1) Index (0 -> 360 degree)
   Condition 2
      2) Spin Speed (slow -> fast)
   Else

(Note that I have used two conditions and left else blank. This is purely for the purposes of this example. In reality only one condition is needed and the other functions could be placed in 'else'.)

To get the rotate attribute to automatically change depending on the selected gobo we need to set the relevant conditions.

For condition 1 this will be 'Gobo1 = 1 OR Gobo1 = 2'.
For condition 2 this will be 'Gobo1 = 3 OR Gobo1 = 4'.

Note that it is the attribute ID and function ID that is used.

(You could also write this as 'Gobo1 < 3' and 'Gobo1 > 2' respectively. In some more complicated personalities clever use of greater than or less than avoids otherwise long lists of OR statements.)

In this simple example that is all that is required. If you looked at the Gobo1 functions you would see they now automatically have 'Gobo1Rot' set in their update field.

In the 2000 profile personality previous to the one uploaded yesterday there were a number of update related errors. However, I believe the one that specifically would make things go wrong with scroll and spin is that all the Gobo2 functions were set to update Gobo2Rot. They should not have been updating anything. One of the problems is that the automatic filling of the 'update' field is it won't automatically 'un-fill' if a condition is later removed or if an ID changes. So you can end up with functions updating the wrong attributes as we have here.
In this file Gobo2Func should exclusively update Gobo2 and Gobo2Rot. Similarly Gobo1Func should update Gobo1 and Gobo1Rot. The Effect attribute is implemented a little differently where EffectFunc should update Effect and Effect should update EffectRot.
Sometimes the same thing can happen with function ID's within a condition and you end up with duplicates.
If you are working with conditionals and they are either not updating correctly or extra functions are appearing on the wheels then these are one of the places to look.

Hopefully that helps some. When the fixed file has been uploaded compare it against the bad file see if makes more sense.

Let me know if you have other questions.
inri martyr

Postby inri martyr » 21 Jan 2011, 15:43

ok i will definitly compare the new profile with the bad old one... When can i expect the fix to be uploaded to the website? it still has 1-18-11 on the mac profile online, i realize i am looking for a newer one than that as i have tried that one out....As for other questions i have so many i dont kno where to begin whether to start on a dif thread or just ask here
inri martyr

Postby inri martyr » 24 Jan 2011, 16:46

nic,
just wondering if you wanted to talk about the stuff we went through on friday on this thread so maybe peeps can understand a lil about wats going on with that effect.....
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 24 Jan 2011, 22:05

I could, but at this stage it probably won't be much help.

The original file was certainly faulty. I'm happy with the fix which should be uploaded shortly.

But Inri is still having difficulty with the file running on D4 v2.4. I'm waiting for confirmation if this is known/repeatable or at least whether it is definitely ok on v3(Titan).
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 27 Jan 2011, 11:33

Now up along with a major overhaul of all the Mac series. I can now recite all Martin channel mappings backwards. Meuh!

Note that the uploaded personality contains a few more revisions from the interim version I sent. Also, despite what I said above, I have reinstated the GoboRot updates into Gobo. I found certain situations where it might be useful. Currently being debated whether it is necessary or not.